Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rent for hives  (Read 10387 times)

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
Rent for hives
« on: June 06, 2021, 08:11:44 pm »
I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic. We are interested in placing hives on someone else's property. A couple of questions. Do any of you do this? If so do you pay rent or do you give a percentage of the honey?  Any information is helpful. Thanks!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Rent for hives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 09:37:10 pm »
A few lbs of honey is the normal "rent" rate - to me.

But ... the "rent" is basically anything 2 people can agree on.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 08:45:35 am »
I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic. We are interested in placing hives on someone else's property. A couple of questions. Do any of you do this? If so do you pay rent or do you give a percentage of the honey?  Any information is helpful. Thanks!
The barter system works well when you don't want the IRS involved.  If you are running a business you may want to claim the receipts.  Depends on how big the business is.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:45:29 am »
We have operated as a Florida Cottage Food business for a few years, and now we are wanting to expand, start a business.  That's the reason we even considered putting hives on other properties. 

She is interested in be keeping and that's why we put hives on her property.  We are mentoring her.  She has 2 hives now.  We have 7 hives there, and will get honey from all of them this year.

Last year we bartered. We had only four hives there. She helped with the extraction of honey and we gave her about 25% of the honey. I think that is too much, but I want to be fair.  I think your right about receipts if we do become a "real business," so I'll talk to her about cash payment.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:04:03 pm »
It is good you found a place for your bees. It is also good that you reached an agreement on terms. As to 25 percent that is debatable LOL. When I was a kid my uncle bailed hay for many of our neighbors. This negation situation came to me then. The deal was the Cattle man with the range got 1/3 of the hay. My uncle kept 2/3s My uncle had invested in the tremendous expense of tractors, cutters, rakes, and hay bailers. Not a cheap investment. On the other hand, the other ranchers had their on invested expensive property.

You could look at it in the same light? You have invested in all equipment necessary for the benefit of your bees and honey and she has invested in the land. No doubt you may find other places that would not charge you any return. So did my uncle. Many times folks would have property and acreage with no cows who simply wanted their place cut free. And my uncle kept 100 percent. There may be folks in your area who wold love to have bees 🐝 on or near their crops and or gardens that would not charge you anything. Some may even pay you. Every situation is different. Good luck 🍀 with your venture!

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 01:38:10 pm »
Good luck 🍀 with your venture!

Thanks!!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 01:56:01 pm »
There are many ways to do it. Different circumstances require different solutions. Here's an example: a friend of mine just purchased several acres - for my bees. We agreed on the following:

I get 20% of revenue for expenses
We split the remainder 50/50.

Dropping a couple hives in someone's backyard is a lot different that when someone puts several hundred thousand into acreage for your bees. .... the circumstances make a big difference. ... at the end of the day, it's "whatever you can agree on".
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 03:32:18 pm »
I think your right about receipts if we do become a "real business," so I'll talk to her about cash payment.
I wouldn't complicate things until you do become a real business.  Unless she is selling it she will be overrun with honey in a short time frame.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 09:13:55 pm »
Do make sure your Fl. registration number is on your hives when putting them on someone else's property.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 10:55:08 pm »
Do make sure your Fl. registration number is on your hives when putting them on someone else's property.
Why? Is that mandatory by Florida law?

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:30 pm »
I wouldn't complicate things until you do become a real business.  Unless she is selling it she will be overrun with honey in a short time frame.

I don't think so.... She feeds it to horses for their allergies!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 07:33:40 am »
I don't think so.... She feeds it to horses for their allergies!
OMG the allergies are probably from the chemicals in the hay or oats.  Honey is not going to help.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 08:37:57 am »
Yes and it can protect you if there is ever a dispute over whose hives they belong to. It is worth the small fee for registering your hive if you haven't.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:56 pm »
Yes and it can protect you if there is ever a dispute over whose hives they belong to. It is worth the small fee for registering your hive if you haven't.

It's sad - but I Brand*** my apiary name into every:

Inner cover
Box
Frame
& bottom board

Hive theft here in California is listed (by the state AG) as the #2 largest crime in this state - in total dollars.

Registration number on hives, is not required out here.

***Branding is done by burning.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 12:18:50 pm »

It's sad - but I Brand*** my apiary name into every:

Inner cover
Box
Frame
& bottom board

Hive theft here in California is listed (by the state AG) as the #2 largest crime in this state - in total dollars.

Registration number on hives, is not required out here.

***Branding is done by burning.

Sad about theft. A good idea branding Cool. Wonder why more beekeepers do not take advantage of the lost dog locator chips? Perhaps adding one to X number of hives. Therefore making it easy to find and recover the hives along with catching the crooks?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 01:33:01 pm »

Sad about theft. A good idea branding Cool. Wonder why more beekeepers do not take advantage of the lost dog locator chips? Perhaps adding one to X number of hives. Therefore making it easy to find and recover the hives along with catching the crooks?

Yes - "Chipping" the hives is next.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »
I?m keeping most of my production hives on a farm. He has one hive that I help him with.
No money or barter involved. We have become good friends. He gets pollination for free and I get the honey and year around (mostly) flows.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 07:30:07 pm »
I?m keeping most of my production hives on a farm. He has one hive that I help him with.
No money or barter involved. We have become good friends. He gets pollination for free and I get the honey and year around (mostly) flows.
Jim Altmiller

A year around flow! Outstanding, the luxuries of sunny 🌞  Florida!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 08:59:28 pm »
Not in all Florida Ben, In my area when cabbage palm ends, it over for me. Winter starts in July.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 09:11:49 am »
He gets pollination for free and I get the honey and year around (mostly) flows.
That is bartering Jim.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything