Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australian fires  (Read 8569 times)

Offline queenman

• New Bee
Re: Australian fires
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 05:06:12 pm »
That satellite photo is fake news.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
As sure as the flower buds will poke up from the cold ashes, the bee will prevail.
Insects prevail after devastation, mammals don't.  Bees thrive on weeds, mammals don't.  You see where I am going here?  Commercial beekeepers may be out of luck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
Yes, Ace. I do see that. For certain it is a sad plight, which our west coast shares, but not here on the East coast. Although life does return with time, that is a small comfort to those ruined in the devastation, who have had livelihood and joy taken away.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:20 pm »
Hi all well i live in adelaide across the strip of water that seperates kangaroo island from the mainland , last night viveon bay township was evacuated as the fire was considered to close ,its a lovely place and if you ever get the chance go there . I hope that the bee keeper on KI is safe and has moved what hives he can to the other end of the island to try to save as many as possible ,anyone who has been there will know of the significance of these bees as someone else said they are the purest strain of ligeran bee in the world .
 Now we can all understand that the climate is changing it has been changing since records started , i can remember when we had a drought here in south australia water restrictions for years then they built a desalination plant not to far from where i live ,next year it rained and rained and the plant has only this year been activated after ticking over for what must be at least 10 years or more ,now due to governement policy from a long time ago it is against the law for land owners to clear undergrowth such as lantana ect ,the fuel build up from the lack of controlled burning during the winter months has heightend this situation for the past many years , the people who have lost everything will be calling for blood on this subject  and some have given all fighting these fires as we have seen .
  What i would like to know is what are we going to do in the future ? will we reduce the fuel loads in our forests ? will we allow high country grazing again i am personnally sick of seeing nuckelheads glueing themselves to roads in the name of climate change .or dressing up in silly costumes like this extinction rebellion mob what is your answer because unless your thatched roof on your bush hut is covered with solar panels and your reading by candle light then you are kidding yourself .  Another thing is what will we do with all the arsonists who seem to enjoy lighting these fires i think there have been 135 caught in the eastern states  and i  know some have been caught here in S.A  n fact last night someone decided to set a small parkway on fire near my home why i do not know .
   Now for the bush ,yes it will take some time to regenerate but  lot of native trees require fire to release there seeds  and i have see photos of trees already starting to sprout new shoots after the fire has gone through ,the animals and wild life are a different story  as seen on the television they have also suffered greatly . We should thank our friends from overseas who have come to help us in our time of need and to all the fire fighters who have worked tirelessly to save people and property and to all those working behind the scenes to keep these brave men and women going , we need to take lessons from this tragedy in regards to the way we manage our forests how we react to bushfires and how we deal with those who deliberatly light these fires under the law .             

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 11:39:25 pm »

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 01:33:38 am »
I have just been told that the or one of the bee keepers on the island out of 1000 hives has lost 700 plus there are other beekeepers but dont know what there losses are , i dont know if the shop they have was taken in the fires or not but even so this will be devastating for the keeper and his business for some time will wait until the news tonight to see if any of this small ammount of rain we had has done any good lets hope so ,he also was a registered queen breeder as well but dont know if this has been affected ,hopefully he will get a grant from the government to help him and others get back on there feet it will be a while but lets hope it isnt the end . 

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 08:42:52 am »
A lot of the news and maps showing the Australian continent being on fire is fake.  Anything with the ring of fire around the top half of the countries coastline is blatantly ridculous, I live in those areas, we are in a rainy monsoon, not fires for heavens sake. The bushfires down south are bad, but its still only 7% of the continent.

Also a lot of these fires are being caused by people, both careless and malicsious arson. Police have charged almost 200 people this season. You notice its always the southern states with the most frequent bushfires. Namely because the population density is several times higher and far more people access the outdoors areas. You also have more people entering the out back than any other time in history with everyone having more leisure time and 4x4 vehicles these days

I believe climates fluctuates and Australia is no doubt going through a dry spell.But the idea these bushfires are all down to 'cimate change' I am happy to call the biggest pile of bull in history. Again, as mentioned there is a huge human element at work here as well.

Common sense is in short supply these days, glad I am finacially set up enough not to have to worry about the latest fads they use to brainwash the city folk. Convincing kids they can choose infinite genders and Australia becoming a continent of fire like out of some 60's sci-fi disaster movie, good heavens, what are folks smoking?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 09:18:52 am »
The bushfires down south are bad, but its still only 7% of the continent.

Okay, so isn't the rest of the country sand?  I always get a charge out of someone who is not in a disaster zone saying it is no big deal to those that are.  Why in the hell are people coming from the other side of the world to help if it is no big deal?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 07:50:42 pm »
I am assuming you are not Australian..

No the rest of the country is not 'sand'. A lot of it is dry woodland, my state QLD is larger than the fire states combined, hotter and some areas more prone to burning than down south. We are actually enjoying a fairly mild summer here for the record.

As to quoting figures for the actual land under fire, that is not 'making light of a disaster', its called correcting some of the silly assumptions being spread around.

As to international firefighters being called in, ours also get called to Canada and the USA for their fires. part of the reason is you can't deploy all your domestic firefighters to a disaster as obviously you have no one handling regular emergency services in their departments.  its good pratice and very welcome to have injections of 'auxillary' firefighters during disasters.

And I do live in a disaster area thanks. As mentioned a lot of Australia is prone to bushfires and floods. This post was not to make light of myself or anyone else, but just to add some facts to the discussion.

Sorry if this conflicts with what you are being fed on the news. I was in emergency services and the army previously and prefer to deal with facts.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 09:58:11 pm »
Sixus - pls forgive Acebird.

I'm glad to hear your doing "ok" & that not all of Australia is burning. From a US Veteran to an Australian Veteran - "Thank you for your service Sir."
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 10:16:24 pm »
Sixus - pls forgive Acebird.

I'm glad to hear your doing "ok" & that not all of Australia is burning. From a US Veteran to an Australian Veteran - "Thank you for your service Sir."

Good post Alan, thanks sixtus for the clarification. Hopefully your neighbors to the south, which are in trouble, will be relieved soon.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 11:49:36 pm »
I was watching the news last night and although there are brain dead morons who go and light fires as one was near my home in the suburbs two nights ago a concensuis from the fire services has said that a lot of the blazes have been started by dry lightning strikes which is probably a fair assumption , but what grinds my gears is all these people calling on australia to do more , there were protests even in of all places england with all the problems they have they should worry about there own nest first . My opinion for these climate change people is practice what you preach ,no phones ,no computers ,no electricity,no gas ,no car ect ect . when you can do all these things and prove to me that you are more than hot air i will listen .
Why is greta the great not protesting at china and india probably two of the worst offender for pollution and greeenhouse /carbon emmisions  in the world yet somehow this brat managed to get an audience with the heads of western nations then posting a photo of poor me on a train going home sitting amongst her baggage ,thankfully the german authorities caught her out seeing that her party were in first class on said train .
We have hundreds if not thousands of brave men and women out fighting these fires , we have hundreds of people supporting them the countries around the world are sending help we have our defence forces activly assisting in many ways millions of dollars have been raised to help these people as well as food and clothing donations  but still we have these climate change people protesting ,heres an idea for you protesters next time there is lightning storm approaching run outside with a big metal rod in your hand so that the bush wont be set ablaze and it might just jolt some common sense into you .

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:02 am »
Good post Crispy,
Thanks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 09:47:18 am »
Why is greta the great not protesting at china and india probably two of the worst offender for pollution and greeenhouse /carbon emmisions  in the world yet somehow this brat managed to get an audience with the heads of western nations then posting a photo of poor me on a train going home sitting amongst her baggage ,thankfully the german authorities caught her out seeing that her party were in first class on said train .
Everyone knows that if the US is not on board there will be no significant change in behavior.  China does not allow freedom of speech.  India is the reason why the US must be involved.  Greta comes from a well to do family and people with money like to be heard.
The point is Australia is in a disaster situation with the future looking even worse.  If 7% of the east coast of the US was burning up it would be a big deal.  Everyone knows the media extrapolates.  You would think the world was coming to an end every time there is a snow storm or a hurricane.  The fact is there is scientific evidence that climate is changing for the worse and it is a direct result from capitalistic nations.  Nature will balance the earth by changing forests to deserts and deserts to forests.  The billionaires are the only ones that will be able to make the move so their lives won't change.  That is why they have no concern for climate change.  If they can continue to bluff the people who it will change it is business as usual.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2020, 09:54:33 am »
""The fact is there is scientific evidence that climate is changing""    TRUE

""and it is a direct result from capitalistic nations."......PURE BS

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:01 am »
Sixtus, I am from a area that has forest fires ever year. We are in winter now with several feet of snow. Next August when things are burning I would be glad to see your hotshot crews come through town. Your fires should be down by then.
jimmy

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 06:32:53 pm »
The Aborigines used to burn off the plains every year.  They don't let them anymore.  The American Indians did the same here.  We had a wildfire like that back in  1910.  I'm sure it was global warming...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 09:18:06 am »
The Aborigines used to burn off the plains every year.  They don't let them anymore.  The American Indians did the same here.  We had a wildfire like that back in  1910.  I'm sure it was global warming...
Mike it is not just the grass that is burning in Australia, CA, or CO.  It is the areas that had enough moisture for a long time to grow big trees and now there isn't.  Ironically FL is in danger because it grows everything fast so when the rain stops the whole state becomes a match box.  Control burns work to some degree in areas where there are not many people.  Moving 50 or a 100 tee pees is not the same as walking away from 100 billion dollars in real estate.  It is something like 10000 people a month moving to FL.  They are not moving inland they like the coast.  Buildings are getting taller and hurricanes are getting stronger.  FL is the classic display of climate change, too much rain and then not enough.  That is not a good equation.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 01:41:23 pm »
Buildings are getting taller and hurricanes are getting stronger.  FL is the classic display of climate change, too much rain and then not enough.  That is not a good equation.

I was with you to this point.  This is historically inaccurate. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything