Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guard Goose  (Read 2096 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Guard Goose
« on: October 15, 2023, 06:00:55 pm »
My little sisters are thinking about getting a guard goose for their chicken flock.  Does anyone have any experience with guard geese?  Any advice you could offer them? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Guard Goose
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 06:26:28 pm »
Yes. They can outrun your siblings until they are 8 or 10 years old and bring a blood blister on their bare legs. I always carried a broomstick around the yard until I was about 10. Never hurt but 1. I broke his neck. Good eating and proud of the accomplishment.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 06:54:23 pm »
As a yute, we had friends who had a small farm and they had geese. I seem to recall two of them headed my way and hissing. One kick to the head and they went their own way but that Rhode Island Red rooster they had, he wouldn't give up. I forget how I finally got him out of my hair.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 09:21:28 pm »
We had one when we were young.  Started out nice and then got really mean.  Worth a try, but be prepared to cook the thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 10:21:24 pm »

Canadian Cobra Chickens ... good nickname, imo ... when I was a little kid, tried to fend off a some of them with a cane fishing pole until I slipped on goose poop. Then they were on me and I was in poop. Good thing I also had a galvanized minnow bucket emptied of most of the water from the fall. ... then got my butt torn up by my aunt for "harassing the geese". Just don't spank the kids for fighting the geese ... 'cause they didn't start it.

or ... go all the way and get a couple of swans :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 10:36:09 pm »
We had two females and a male goose. Hand raised them from hatch day. They were good friendly pet?s until the females started laying eggs. Then they got real mean. We put them in a hen house to protect the grandkids. Within a week, I was the only one who could go in their cage.  There was no calming them down. We waited until they were done with raising their young before getting rid of them, hoping they would go back to being friendly, they didn?t.
Think twice before getting geese.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 11:15:03 pm »
That same guy that had the geese and the Rhode Island Reds had a Herford bull for a little bit. He was nasty and Mr. Moore thought it was funny. He came after me one day but I was lucky to be near an old gatepost and once I got behind it, he couldn't figure out how to get to me. Then my buddy opened the barn door and I made a successful break for it. Next thing I heard, Herfy cornered Mr. Moore and got sent to the butcher.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 11:19:18 pm »
Interesting.  :shocked:  I'll pass the info along.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 06:22:59 am »
I've found a rooster with a possum cornered in the group nesting box.  A rooster will defend the hens some.  I've had aggressive roosters too, but most aren't.  Most geese are pretty aggressive in my experience.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin