Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guineas and Bees  (Read 2328 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Guineas and Bees
« on: July 10, 2023, 12:25:33 pm »
My family is thinking about getting some guineas, and I know they are primarily insectivores.  Are they any problem with bees?  They won't just set up shop in front of a hive and chow down on bees, or harass the hives in any way, will they?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Guineas and Bees
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 12:39:40 pm »
My neighbor has had guineas a couple of times.  They used to come over in my yard lots.  My hives are probably 50 yards from my back yard and I never seen the birds by them but if they came to my yard, I just have a feeling that they had to have also known the hives were there.  I don't know for sure, the answer to your question but I would try it if I wanted it and for now think chances are good it would work out.  What does not work out is guineas and roads.  I have chickens and have lost one or two on the road but my neighbor lost 18 to the same road in less then a year and this was the second time they had them.  The road in front of my house is black top and it must be magnetic to guineas.  Just something to think about.
Cheers
gww

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:51:18 pm »
I gave a colony of bees to a friend a couple months ago who has a few guineas. They feasted on the bees! Never seen anything like it.. The bee crazed guineas congregated around the hive, pecking them off in a frenzy like hyenas at a kill site. He had to move the colony to another location from his home pronto, until he has coordinated a way to keep the guineas separated a safe distance from his colony as the bees come and go ..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 12:59:33 pm »
Phil's info may be better then mine.  In his case, if any bees were left, they would probably be meaner then when a skunk has been after them. Yikes.
Cheers
gww

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 01:14:10 pm »
Phil's info may be better then mine.

I am sure your information is accurate for the circumstances you described gww. The difference 'could be' or 'might be', my friends guineas live on the place and he put the bees in the center of his barnyard activity. But really I don't know... lol

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 02:08:51 pm »
lol. bad eyes made me see Guinness and Bees ...

Was wondering what my favorite beer had to do with bees ... kinda looking for a recipe ...  :embarassed:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 02:17:05 pm »
Phil, your friend needs to look for another problem. I have had guineas around hives on several yards and have never seen anything negative. I have seen them catch wax moths and drones. Never have I seen one catch a worker.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 02:26:19 pm »
Phil, your friend needs to look for another problem. I have had guineas around hives on several yards and have never seen anything negative. I have seen them catch wax moths and drones. Never have I seen one catch a worker.

We had visited for quite a bit of time looking at the garden, cows, pigs, his home built meat cooler, etc. I noticed they were already finding the bees before I left from the delivery/visit and had already started gathering around the hive. He called me later and described what was happening. What is the difference this time? I do not know... The only thing that might help is he has no less than 50 chickens running loose as well. I doubt there was a bug to be found before the bees arrived, to be feasted upon.

Phillip
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 03:02:17 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 02:39:23 pm »
My friend Vince had about 150 birds. Chickens, guineas, peacocks, pheasants, turkeys, etc. Never had a problem with 30 plus hives.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 02:43:32 pm »
Well I know what I seen before I left and my friend is honest and has good vision, with no reason to lie... The hive was a gift. Perhaps your friend might remove 29 of his hives and see what happens with the one?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 03:03:43 pm »
"Guinea fowl will also eat honey bees, so you have to be careful if you also have apiaries. Guinea fowl have been known to stand by a hive and eat the bees as they come out."

University of Kentucky
http://www2.ca.uky.edu ? agc ? pubs ? ASC209
ASC-209: Raising Guinea Fowl - UK College of Agriculture

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 04:02:57 pm »
As said before, I have experienced several instances. Some with 1 hive, some with more. I have never experienced a problem.
No more arguing from me. Just expressing my experiences.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 04:10:34 pm »
"No more arguing from me."

Good! lol :cheesy: :wink: :grin:  J/K

I was doing the same iddee, expressing my 'one and only' experience.
I felt it was my obligation to answer Reagan's first post with what 'little' experience I had to offer.. 

Philip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2023, 04:35:43 pm »
Thanks for the responses, everyone.  Sounds like it's worth a try.  I basically just wanted to make sure it wasn't an automatic problem waiting to happen. 

What does not work out is guineas and roads.  I have chickens and have lost one or two on the road but my neighbor lost 18 to the same road in less then a year and this was the second time they had them.  The road in front of my house is black top and it must be magnetic to guineas.  Just something to think about.

Our house isn't on a main road, it's just gravel up through a blueberry farm and then past us to some houses higher up the mountain.  People do drive kind of fast for the road, but it's not like there is constant traffic or anything.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 05:17:44 pm »
I am not on a main road really but just think guineas have no fear.  I don't know if they eat small rocks to use as teeth like a chicken does but this could be the draw of a road.  Good to hear your situation but I did want to warn you, they are much different then chickens when it comes to cars.  I really felt bad for my neighbor when I would go get my mail and find more then one at a time smashed on the road.
Cheers
gww

anything