Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baby Goats on the Way!  (Read 16377 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: Baby Goats on the Way!
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2024, 01:43:13 pm »
I like the bag feeder idea, that's a great use for all the feed bags. I end up throwing a lot away between dog food bags and grain bags. I bent some hog panel into a capital M shape and put the hay in the top for a makeshift feeder of course a lot ends up on the ground having no bottom. All good though. It's soil building and I need all the help I can get in that regard on my land, the soil is so compacted and degraded. I think I'll be copying the bag idea for the other paddock though, cheaper than a hog panel. As long as the dogs don't think it's a toy and shred it lol
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2024, 01:46:51 pm »
That's my sister's own invention and everyone was so interested in it on her forum that she actually made a tutorial about how to make them.  Here's the link if you'd like the directions. https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/how-to-make-a-feedbag-hay-feeder.224555/
She wanted me to add something she does that isn't in that tutorial.  To keep the hay string from fraying, she now burns the ends with a lighter. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2024, 01:50:04 pm »
Thanks!
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2024, 01:56:50 pm »
No problem!  She uses them everywhere.  She even made a small one out of a bird seed bag so that Mr. Moon could bring his lunch too when we go hiking.  :cool:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2024, 05:46:41 pm »
We had our last batch of babies for this year born very early Monday morning.  Bella was the last doe this year, and it seemed like things were starting to get going late on Saturday night, so we were hoping that maybe for once we have kids born during the day on Sunday, but instead she kept us strung along until after 1:00 AM.  She had a white average sized buckling, a huge tan buckling (the biggest kid we've ever had), and a small tan doeling (the smallest kid we've ever had).  We are kind of on a Winter's Tale jag after naming one of Prim's kids Peter Lake, so we named them Pearly, Cecil, and Beverly.  Haley is worried about Bev being able to compete with the boys since she is so little, so she's been in the house all day trying to learn to take a bottle in the hopes that Haley can supplement her if need be.       

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2024, 11:23:10 pm »
Here's some pictures of Beverly in the house today.  She finally took the bottle around suppertime, once Haley tried a new style of nipple.  This is the first time we've successfully bottle-fed a kid, so Haley is very pleased.  Bev will come inside tomorrow too, just to be sure she's got the bottle down, and then hopefully she'll be able to take one whenever it's needed.