Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / Re: ATF EXPERT
« Last post by Michael Bush on Today at 06:29:23 am »
Deadliness of a cartridge isn't simple and straightforward.  It's not just about ft lbs.  It's not just about bullet performance.  It's not just the diameter of the bullet.  All these things have different effects.  A 45/70 doesn't have any more ft. lbs of energy than an .25-06 (there are actually a wide variety of factory loads for a 45/70 that are all over the map).  A .22 lr is amazingly deadly for its size.  The requirements for deadliness are penetration and wound channel.  The .22 penetrates well.  But if you want reliable stopping power (making sure the threat stays down) ft. lbs are helpful, penetration  is helpful, but not as important as it is when hunting.  Etc.  Part of the problem with ft. lbs of energy can be illustrated with hammers.  You can swing a 16 oz framing hammer hard enough to get the same ft. pounds as a sawed off 6 pound sledge gets with a little tap.  But the results are drastically different.
You could possibly cut out a small section of comb with eggs for him, which won't have a major impact on your new hive. I do this quite frequently when requeening and it seems to work well.
Throwback article from 17 years ago featuring a secret beekeeping society in New York City. At the time of this article bee keeping was illegal inside the city limits.

https://www.salon.com/2007/07/08/beekeeping/
« Last post by animal on April 15, 2024, 10:50:20 pm »
ummm the bounce around thing about .22s ...sorry, another mostly-myth. .. huge amount of BS myth concerning the .223 rem (or 5.56x45) going squirrelly upon entering a body.

.22 LR does tend to fragment or deflect when hitting a bone more than larger hunks of metal, and of course any jacketed round. However, it doesn't bounce around. Another mostly-myth is that the .22 short will penetrate a skull and then "bounce around". It doesn't. When it doesn't exit, it usually causes cracking/breaking the skull on the opposite side of the entry. It can deflect if striking the interior of the skull at a low enough angle, but it still doesn't really bounce.
Really strange things happen with bullets, though. Sometimes you can find exceptions to fit the myth. I personally know of one case where a man was shot in the forehead and the bullet traveled for a short distance between skin and skull and exited before it reached the temple. Dude literally took 4 stitches to fix  him up. 2 on the entry wound and the other 2 on the exit. (and a couple of weeks in observation at a mental hospital). One of my aunts was the shooter.
It knocked him out cold, so it counts as a one shot stop for  a .25 ACP. :cheesy:

Correction: Shoot until the threat is stopped/neutralized. Whether the target lives or dies is irrelevant. "They" implies a person. The target is not a person until they are not a threat. :wink:
Hopefully, they stop being a threat peacefully.

There is a weird thing with .22LR that is true .. the "it kills you later" thing ... but the reason is that the wound is often viewed as being not as serious as it really is, and taking the doctor by surprise a day or two later. ... itty bitty hole with a surprisingly large area of hydraulic disturbance in the surrounding tissue.

« Last post by Kathyp on April 15, 2024, 09:49:34 pm »
Personally, I agree with Marshall that only the torso should be considered in a "one shot stop" evaluation.

The biggest variable is the condition of the person being shot.  If they are high on drugs, or even adrenalin, they will be harder to stop no matter what.  The knock back ability of whatever you are shooting can be more important than the size of the hole it makes. Of course, sometimes a .22 can do as much if not more damage because it tends to bounce around in there.   :grin:

Thus the "shoot until they stop moving" training.
« Last post by animal on April 15, 2024, 08:27:54 pm »
E. Marshall data(1 shot stop, torso hits only):

9mm Luger:
Federal 115 gr JHP +P+                91%

.45 ACP :
Federal 230 gr. HS JHP,                96%

G Ellifritz data:

9mm One-shot-stop, any hit                           34%
 incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit)   52%

.45ACP One-shot-stop, any hit                         39%
incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit)     51%
(and he added a caveat that over half of the 9mm data was FMJ ammo and that it is reasonable to assume that FMJ does not perform as well as expanding bullets)

Personally, I agree with Marshall that only the torso should be considered in a "one shot stop" evaluation.
This subject has been hotly debated for years because there are far too many variables to consider. There simply isn't any way to draw definitive conclusions without much more data... but clustered numbers are clustered numbers and they can be expected to allow comparisons between calibers within each study ... Provided that they're viewed as having a large margin of error. I would think AT LEAST 5%.

Intuitively, I like the big fat heavy slow bullet theory, but the data available doesn't really show that. Also, even if a 4 or 5 percent difference between 9mm and .45acp  is true ... when you consider 16 shots versus 8 ... 5 percent or less difference in each shot starts looking really small. 

The best conclusion I can draw is that as long as the bullet is carrying enough energy to form a significant wound channel, it'll do the job if the shot is placed correctly. As for me, I'm comfortable with the performance of .44 spl., 45ACP, 9mm, .40s&w, .357mag etc. .... 10mm, .357Sig, .44mag. are a little obnoxious in my book for people, and a little weak for bears.

I would suggest...Carry the biggest you can control easily and are comfortable with.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Out of Reach
« Last post by The15thMember on April 15, 2024, 07:56:41 pm »
Welp, they're gone.  I'm not surprised.  I was busy this morning, but was thinking about maybe taking another crack at getting them down after lunch.  Just before lunch I took a look at them through binoculars and there was a lot of enthusiastic dancing about a location far to the northeast, several miles at least.  When I went back out after lunch, they were gone.  On the bright side, the group that I managed to hive seems to have decided to stay put, since they were doing normal hive work this morning, like fanning and taking out trash.  I'll leave them alone until the weekend probably, and then I'll check and see how many are in there.       
CRAFTING CORNER / Re: Wax contamination question
« Last post by Lesgold on April 15, 2024, 05:49:43 pm »
They are two treatments that I will use. Formicpro can be used with supers on over here but from memory Apiguard can not. ( I?ll have to check that as at the moment the old brain is bombarded with information) Formicpro will have a withhold period of two weeks.

Phillip, the Department Of Primary Industries is our controlling body. They are very capable people. Although what I mentioned earlier may sound a little unusual, the order is in place to control the spread of varroa. This will give a bit more time for beekeepers to undergo training courses, for dissemination of information and for beekeeping suppliers to stock equipment etc to battle the pest. The bio security order will most likely be lifted at some stage. New treatments for Varroa are being looked at but until they are approved as being safe, it is illegal to use them.

Cao, I won?t be allowed to use the wax from brood comb at all. It will need to be destroyed. Frames will be able to be reused if all wax is removed. I may still go down that path but it may not be worth the effort.

Michael, people who live on the coast won?t have brood breaks. In my area, the brood area becomes much smaller than usual but the queen continues to lay. People like Max ho have warmer winters have the queen laying all year. Forced brood breaks will be another option we will need to consider. I will be asking for advice on methods to do this efficiently in the future. Looks like this pest will impact on hive growth and therefore honey production. More work for a reduced output sounds appealing. 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲
Hi Jim,

I ended up getting the Creality Falcon 2. It?s a 22w machine. Cuts through 12mm pine quite well. There is also a 40w machine available but it is quite a bit more to buy. I?m happy with this laser for what I do.
« Last post by Terri Yaki on April 15, 2024, 04:51:31 pm »
230 grn for the .45 and 115 for the 9 for me. I have JHP bullets for both and all else I need to reload. The Mark 23 is a monster but the USP 9C carries nice and easy. I think I need a thigh holster.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10