Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheap Ventilation?  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Cheap Ventilation?
« on: November 28, 2019, 06:27:44 pm »
I am testing different ways to ventilate without having to buy expensive equipment. The first test: nickles. I just went out in the chilly air and put nickles below the inner covers to open it up a little. I will see how this works in the next few days then im going to try some other things. Will nickles be enough?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Cheap Ventilation?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 12:02:17 am »
Xerox, I have used pennies years past, but not at random.  When I can actually see condensation.  I tilt my hives, I use burlap and fondant on a 3 inch wither board on my best queens of desired genetics.  On warm days, say 65F, I will remove the top and check on condensation and stores.

There are time of extreme cold that my bees don?t like ventilation.  Determined by bee propolis to close off vents.  So, in short, condensation and food are the main concerns.  My bees can tolerate single digits but not water dripping in the cluster.

I believe your state, Washington, is much warmer than Arkansas: single digits, rarely below zero F.  Is this correct?

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:29:29 pm »
I am not sure how cold Arkansas gets, but we almost eliminated condensation by insulating our lids.
Our lid is just a 40mm rim/ frame that has 6mm ply on top, there are 2 x 20mm holes with mesh in each end.
A piece of foil board (20mm polystryrene with a layer of foil on each side), on top. Then a tin lid with 40mm turn downs to accommodate the foil board.
Our lids have 3 coats of paint before the foil board and lid are added.
They are not telescopic and just sit in the rim of the super.
I think the insulation keeps the warmth in the super and so no condensation.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:38:35 pm »
Xerox, I have used pennies years past, but not at random.  When I can actually see condensation.  I tilt my hives, I use burlap and fondant on a 3 inch wither board on my best queens of desired genetics.  On warm days, say 65F, I will remove the top and check on condensation and stores.

There are time of extreme cold that my bees don?t like ventilation.  Determined by bee propolis to close off vents.  So, in short, condensation and food are the main concerns.  My bees can tolerate single digits but not water dripping in the cluster.

I believe your state, Washington, is much warmer than Arkansas: single digits, rarely below zero F.  Is this correct?

Blessings
Van

Yes this is true. Only once in a decade we will get temps in the single digits and don't get much snow (Last year a exception). The nickles didn't quite work enough so I propped the edge on the outer cover on the inner cover to get a bit more ventilation. I need tips on feeding though. Should I use a empty shallow and put some dry sugar on some newspaper? I fear that this will create too much room for the bees to warm.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:23:32 pm »
If you have warm enough weather for the bees to fly, you can community feed syrup in a bucket with straw or styrofoam peanuts with sticks as I use.

I use a top winter board 3 inches in height with fondant for feed and burlap to absorb  moisture.  The winter board will be removed as soon as weather warms, like late Feb or early March.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 12:27:49 am »
If you have warm enough weather for the bees to fly, you can community feed syrup in a bucket with straw or styrofoam peanuts with sticks as I use.

I use a top winter board 3 inches in height with fondant for feed and burlap to absorb  moisture.  The winter board will be removed as soon as weather warms, like late Feb or early March.

Van

I think the dry sugar in all the hives would work better so theres less competition and yellow jackets. Also the sugar will help soak up excess moisture.

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 09:59:27 am »
I use an Immerie Shim that has a small entrance knotch cut in it under the inner cover.  This allow adequate ventilation when needed.  The small entrance knotch is small enough for the bees to propolize shut or partially shut allowing them to regulate air flow just how they like it. 

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:49 am »
Another recommendation to consider is a single dime on a corner between the top brood box and honey supers.
This leaves a place for some warmer air to remain trapped above the ventilation.
I have no experience with this set up, I am just passing it along.
Tom

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:07:16 am »
 oops
Tom

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 10:36:38 am »
I use an Immerie Shim that has a small entrance knotch cut in it under the inner cover.  This allow adequate ventilation when needed.  The small entrance knotch is small enough for the bees to propolize shut or partially shut allowing them to regulate air flow just how they like it.

I don't have any shims but I'll have to see the price on them and maybe order some.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 10:44:14 am »

Just looked at some shims and they're about 4.50 each so I go to checkout and the shipping cost is upwards of $30  :cry:

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 10:51:07 am »

Van

I think the dry sugar in all the hives would work better so theres less competition and yellow jackets. Also the sugar will help soak up excess moisture.

Dry sugar has worked for many a beek.  The only reason I use fondant is for the monomers, that is, already digested sugar or simple carbohydrates as some call it.  Sugar, complex carbohydrates also called the Mountain Camp method is very successful.

Only my Royal queens, that is the best, the breeders, receive fondant, as it is kinda expensive compared to sugar.

Van
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:01:36 am by van from Arkansas »

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »

Van

Dry sugar has worked for many a beek.  The only reason I use fondant is for the monomers, that is, already digested sugar or simple carbohydrates as some call it.  Sugar, complex carbohydrates also called the Mountain Camp method is very successful.

Only my Royal queens, that is the best, the breeders, receive fondant, as it is kinda expensive compared to sugar.

Van

Yeah I can't make fondant I don't have a candy thermometer. I'm still thinking of ways to feed them I saw some boxes that let you put pine shavings and feed them through a screen I might go out today and buy those.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 02:45:30 pm »

Just looked at some shims and they're about 4.50 each so I go to checkout and the shipping cost is upwards of $30  :cry:

I know that feeling.......WHAT??!??!!How Much for shipping.  I think we can all relate to that.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 03:01:33 pm »
Yeah I can't make fondant I don't have a candy thermometer. I'm still thinking of ways to feed them I saw some boxes that let you put pine shavings and feed them through a screen I might go out today and buy those.
Something I like to do is make sugar bricks for my bees.  You mix 12 parts sugar to 1 part water, stir it up really good until it's the consistency of wet sand, and then pack it into some sort of tray (I use those disposable aluminum foil ones).  Let it sit for 24-48 hrs. to dry out (I normally put them in the room with my wood stove so they really dry out), then pop it out and cut or break it into whatever sized chunks you want, stick them on the top bars, and done.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 03:13:00 pm »
Something I like to do is make sugar bricks for my bees.  You mix 12 parts sugar to 1 part water, stir it up really good until it's the consistency of wet sand, and then pack it into some sort of tray (I use those disposable aluminum foil ones).  Let it sit for 24-48 hrs. to dry out (I normally put them in the room with my wood stove so they really dry out), then pop it out and cut or break it into whatever sized chunks you want, stick them on the top bars, and done.     

Thank you I might try this.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 11:20:39 pm »
Member, I have heard some beeks add a few drops of lemon juice to the sugar bricks.  The lemon breaks down the complex sugars to simple sugars.  Fructose and glucose are simple sugars that do not need any digestion, goes straight to the bees blood.  Bees have to digest complex sugar, table sugar and turn table sugar into fructose and glucose,,,,, same as you and I.  Digestion takes energy.  However, table sugar works just fine, use as you please.  Just explaining the science is all I am doing.

Nectar in flowers is glucose and Fructose and about 80% water.  Different amounts of the two sugars For a giving plant;  Tupelo is high in Fructose so it seldom crystallizes.  Canola is high in glucose so it will crystallize easily.

Blessings

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 01:31:42 am »
Member, I have heard some beeks add a few drops of lemon juice to the sugar bricks.  The lemon breaks down the complex sugars to simple sugars.  Fructose and glucose are simple sugars that do not need any digestion, goes straight to the bees blood.  Bees have to digest complex sugar, table sugar and turn table sugar into fructose and glucose,,,,, same as you and I.  Digestion takes energy.  However, table sugar works just fine, use as you please.  Just explaining the science is all I am doing.

Nectar in flowers is glucose and Fructose and about 80% water.  Different amounts of the two sugars For a giving plant;  Tupelo is high in Fructose so it seldom crystallizes.  Canola is high in glucose so it will crystallize easily.

Blessings
Thank you for the info, Van. Very interesting and makes good sense. Maybe I?ll try that next time I need to make a batch of bricks.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 06:01:39 pm »

Blessings

I wish I saw this before I made a fat batch  :cheesy: oh well next time.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 08:27:32 am »
I think it is a mistake to assume increasing ventilation is a good thing.  Bees have to cool the hive in the summer and too much ventilation will prevent this.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything