Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One tropical storm, and my house/apiary is in the bullseye.  (Read 2622 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Some things you just gotta laugh.  There is only one tropical storm in the entire Gulf of Mexico and right now, my apiary is dead center of the storm.  The whole US is out there, all lower 48, and my location is dead center.  Now what are the odds of that?  Oh well, light wind, no lighting to which I am thankful but a whole lot of rain which the lake my property adjoins is already 30 ft above flood pool setting records.

I am teaching my bees swimming lessons tomorrow, using marshmallows as life vest and reeds for canoes.  The drones are appointed life guards as they have the biggest chest made for flying and the biggest eyes to spot a drowning bee.

Seriously this constant downpour rain will wash off pollen and nectar off flowers so my bees may have a lil wait before foraging.  No inspections tomorrow, my bees will be cranky.  The bees are on high ground, no chance of flooding.

Bring me Sunshine, Please.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: One tropical storm, and my house/apiary is in the bullseye.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:09:07 am »
Some things you just gotta laugh.  There is only one tropical storm in the entire Gulf of Mexico and right now, my apiary is dead center of the storm.  The whole US is out there, all lower 48, and my location is dead center.  Now what are the odds of that?  Oh well, light wind, no lighting to which I am thankful but a whole lot of rain which the lake my property adjoins is already 30 ft above flood pool setting records.

I am teaching my bees swimming lessons tomorrow, using marshmallows as life vest and reeds for canoes.  The drones are appointed life guards as they have the biggest chest made for flying and the biggest eyes to spot a drowning bee.

Seriously this constant downpour rain will wash off pollen and nectar off flowers so my bees may have a lil wait before foraging.  No inspections tomorrow, my bees will be cranky.  The bees are on high ground, no chance of flooding.

Bring me Sunshine, Please.
I would give a lot to see pictures of this.  :grin: :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 12:13:18 am »
I know what you mean Mr Van, it's been a rainy spring for me also. Let me know how the water training goes for your bees. I may need to send a few representatives from each of my hives to you for lessons and training. lol
 :shocked:
 :smile:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 11:40:59 am »
Don't worry, Van, we have lots of storms, and had the edge of Storm Cristobal during the last couple of days, and all our bees are just fine.  They all go inside....no bees flying....and it only seems peculiar that they actually all fit in there, right?

There seem to be lots of swarms after big storms, maybe they realize how crowded it is when everyone's home! :cheesy:  And the storm's humidity...Whew!

We make sure the telescoping lids are on securely...use a ratchet strap to be sure, if you're worried.  The hive is so low and heavy, it's not as likely as a lawn chair to go flying in a wind gust.   

Because it's been dry here, the rain has actually helped with nectar production. I know you've had more rain, but maybe that keeps the nectar flowing!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 06:47:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

According to what I'm hearing about hurricane season, we may all be singing the blues. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 06:58:40 pm »
Seeb where did you get the picture of Mr Van, Iddee, Cider and Myself? I thought we lost it!! Lol 😂
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:11:26 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:04 pm »
Well Van, sunshine or not, it looks like the nectar flow is finished here in Mtn. View.  My colonies started to washboard this weekend, they never do that until nectar begins to fail.  They will cap what they have, but will not add anything to their surplus.  They have made enough to last until October, but it looks like a high sugar bill for winter feed.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:55:49 pm »
Agreed AR, we had such a cold wet spring there will be no honey extraction this year.  I am already collecting syrup, 2X, for Fall,  I still have your nuc body.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:05 pm »
Seeb, Ben, that is hilarious.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 11:27:24 pm »
Ha! Grew up watching HeeHaw. My Dad would sing a lot of these, and "Where oh where, are you tonight?"

Van I hope you don't wash down to the Gulf or anything. Them storms be rough!  :shocked:

Also, I trust you guys know your own area(s), but do you get much from trees? Here on the mountain we get a pretty substantial flow from Sourwood in July during many years.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 01:19:15 am »
Yep, that global warming will play tricks on the weather alright: Great reporting!  Was that Chris Cuomo?  :shocked:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 08:01:48 am »
Ha! Grew up watching HeeHaw. My Dad would sing a lot of these, and "Where oh where, are you tonight?"

Van I hope you don't wash down to the Gulf or anything. Them storms be rough!  :shocked:

Also, I trust you guys know your own area(s), but do you get much from trees? Here on the mountain we get a pretty substantial flow from Sourwood in July during many years.

Jojo, when does the sourwood flow usually start and how long does it generally last? Wonder if there is some sort of crop y?all could plant that would produce for an extra month or so? Sunflower 🌻 maybe? Something else?

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 08:46:00 am »
My colonies started to washboard this weekend, they never do that until nectar begins to fail

interesting - I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Love the weather report, and Jojo, we were rarely allowed to watch TV, but HeeHaw, Lawrence Welk, and Johnny Cash show were the exceptions. LOL I had to go back and listen to "Where Oh Where Are You Tonight"

Seeb where did you get the picture of Mr Van, Iddee, Cider and Myself?

I just googled "beekeeper cut-ups" and y'all popped up

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 10:32:53 am »
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 04:28:08 pm »
Seeb and FG - too funny!  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 06:27:27 pm »
Good one Hops!!

Agree Alan, it?s good to smile! 😁

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 11:07:33 am »
Quoting AR Beekeeper

My colonies started to washboard this weekend, they never do that until nectar begins to fail.  They will cap what they have, but will not add anything to their surplus.

AR I want to thank you for posting this. I always wondered why bees washboard, I suppose this is a good explanation.  I noticed just yesterday a couple of my colonies were beginning washboarding. Now I know why. Again many thanks.

Phillip

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 11:16:23 am »
When the bees are washboarding they are cleaning/smoothing the surface and applying pheromones to the surface.  Why they wait until after the nectar flow winds down I am not sure.  Perhaps all the activity of incoming foragers brings debris and odors that they wish to remove and they only want to do the job once.