Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found one queen cell doing full inspection  (Read 2332 times)

Offline peter123

• Brood
Found one queen cell doing full inspection
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »
I just inspected my Warre hive and in the top box I found what looks like a capped queen cell.  I had a nuc box with me so I took that comb out and put it in the nuc box and continued on with the inspection confident that I would find more queen cells.  I didn't, and I looked very carefully.  Any ideas?  I found a couple more little practice cups but they were empty.  thanks

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Found one queen cell doing full inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:17:40 pm »
First welcome to the forum.  Could be a supercedure cell?  Could just be the first one the queen laid in?  I hope some others will chime in with their opinions.  I just went through a hive of mine and found about three or four queen cells with larva and about ten to fifteen empty queen cups.  I assume the queen just hadn't gotten around to laying in them yet.  Hope this helps some.

Offline peter123

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:24:52 pm »
Thanks Cao for the welcome and the advice.  I think I'll just keep an eye on it and do another inspection in a couple of days and see if I spot more queen cells. 

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Great people here.

In my [limited] experience, when they want a new queen, they'll make a bunch of queen cells and you'll know something's up.  When they're not serious, they do those practice ones and tear them down.    I often see a couple of cups during an inspection.   When I've seen capped qcells, there have been a bunch of them of the same age.  No lingering and dawdling doing one at a time. 

Hope you have a great year.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012