Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sap is running!  (Read 2781 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Sap is running!
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:00:45 am »
Tapped 20 walnut last week got 20 gallons today. 
Tapped 12 more walnut and 1 maple this afternoon before the ice storm. 
Looking forward to a good 4 week season!.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Sap is running!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:28:47 am »
I grew up tapping the maples and making Maple syrup - mmmm, one of my favorite times of year!

... but I've never heard of tapping walnuts. What do you get out of tapping walnut trees?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 01:17:55 pm »
Jvalentour - were these black walnut trees?  I had never heard of this until your post.  I've tried to find black walnut flavoring to use in cooking but can only find artificial flavor and won't use that.  Would love to know more about what you are doing

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:26 pm »
Yes they are black walnut trees. 
The sugar content is not as good as maple but it's 4th or 5th on the list.  My woods are predominately walnut, locust, oak now that the insects have killed out the ash. 
In years past I have only made enough for the family, looks like I timed it out better this year and will have some extra to share. 
It tastes sweet like maple with a mild nut flavor. 

There are several trees one may tap, such as birch and sycamore.  They just need to be boiled down longer.
Black walnut syrup is not a product for those with nut allergies.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:38:02 pm »
Very cool - thanks for sharing

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:18:32 pm »

Difference between maple and walnut syrup.  At least of my site.  Walnut is on the right.
Well... on top...

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 09:14:15 am »
Wow, I'm so envious - Just curious about the amount of syrup gathered, to yield once cooked down?  Are they upside down to seal the lids? I bet they look beautiful on the shelf! Good for you guys for doing this

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: Sap run is done
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:05:17 pm »
Yes, upside down to seal.  Saw it on Youtube believe it or not.
We boiled about 200 gallons down to 160 ounces of syrup.
The early sap was different, better, than late sap. Sugar concentration was better early too.
Some we burned and can only cook with some was perfect, some not so much.  Operator error for sure.
Very good on salmon.  Good with scotch.  Great on french toast.
Our farm is in SE Indiana but we live in SW Ohio.  Brought the sap to boil home on our natural gas grill.  It was more time efficient than a wood burning evaporator, but costly I suppose. 
We tapped 30 trees but most sap came from 10 walnut and our one maple.
The syrup make great gifts for neighbors and family.  Everybody likes sweets.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:34 am »
I love to can and freeze, and like you, give for Christmas gifts.  My grandma taught me about turning upside down to seal but I've never seen anyone else do it.
Like beekeeping, I've never found canning/pickling anything to be especially cheap, but you just can't beat the taste and satisfaction of home canning/gardening.  Just set out my lettuce, cabbage, and beets in the garden last week, and started my tomatoes and pepper seeds. Yesterday I tilled/limed new ground to expand my garden, and my package bees will ship to me this week. I'm pretty happy

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »
"Tapped 20 walnut last week got 20 gallons today."

good news jvalentour!! When you told me about the syrup, I searched and found a place in Oregon that collects and sells it. I had to sign up for them to send me notice when they had theirs bottled, and I got that notice today.  All pure, no additives, only produced 53  2 oz bottles this year and first come, first serve.  I placed my order right away and not to jinx it, but it looks like I'm going to get 2 bottles!! Thanks so much for sharing all the cool things you are into with us.

anything