Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: varroa heat treatment?  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
Re: varroa heat treatment?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 11:31:56 am »
@ Live Oak. I watched the above video that you posted. Very interesting, I ask the Dr  in the comments of that same video and hopefully in time he will answer. In the mean time I will ask you, perhaps you might know the answer. The Dr mentioned the triple threat type mite that he is concerned about which may be making its way here to the Americas. The question is; will oxlic acid also effectively kill this strain of mite as effectively as it does the varroa? Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

Also being you are from the general area as myself, I would like to ask you a spin-off question which was part of a reply that you sent to me on the topic of (Feeding pollen substitute in late season). You told me     "I would not put any food patties with more than 5% protein inside the hive during Fall/Winter as these can become SHB magnets". You had also gave me the good advise of leaving Pollen substitute in open feeders the entire fall and winter season as bees in our area would still be  foraging on the occasional warmer days . I  Thank you for that answer but the new question is; Will the hive beetle slime  the hive in our area during this same winter months? Is this something that you have experienced?
Thanks again,  Phillip Hall

My understanding is that the same treatments that are effective on varroa mites are also effective on the Tropilaelaps mite. 

SHB's are present in the hives throughout the Winter but as already mentioned do not replicate during the cold season months.  I have seen some instances where very limited amounts of SHB larva were present in food patties in very large hives that were able to keep the temperature of the hive fairly warm but that was not something I saw much of. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: varroa heat treatment?
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 09:31:07 pm »
Thank you Live Oak...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
varroa heat treatment?
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 12:48:11 am »
I watched that linked video yesterday. Great information that was very well presented. One has to be patient as the really good meaty stuff reveals further along into the video. It is long but absolutely worth every minute invested. Thanks for referencing it!  That video should be stickied somewhere in the upper hierarchy of this forum site.  Buried in this thread does not do it justice.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything