Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split making feedback please.  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Split making feedback please.
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:56:57 pm »
I'm down to one kinda strong hive. I had two until a few weeks ago - I've had at least two since I began beekeeping - reaching a max of four once.  I plan to set swarm traps near my sister's place about a dozen miles away - there are feral bees out where she is, but I can't guarantee I'll catch any.
I have had 'little to no' honey in a couple years  thanks to a drought so bad there was only enough nectar about for the bees to feed themselves - and the next year a "gotcha" spring that had everything blooming followed by a freeze with nothing much for blossoms after.
I had planned to split into more hives anyway, but I'm only working with one, now.
Our big spring flow usually runs from about the last week of march into the end of May - with barely anything until the goldenrod in the fall.
This year looks like it might be pretty nice for honey - plenty of rain - cold spells getting less harsh all the time. (a massive gotcha freeze isn't out of the question up to about Easter, but I can live in fear of that.)
I was hoping to spend half the flow collecting honey, and doing my splits in the middle, so they can feed themselves as they increase. (I don't sell anything so far, so hurting my honey harvest will only hurt my table, and friends and family will get quarts instead of half-gallons)
The hive is a Langstroth 10 frame (9-1/2") deep on top of a medium honey super. I was thinking of splitting them in tothree - four if they fill down into the medium.
If they fill down - I can remove the deep, and place another one (I did this before and they moved to the top) - and then I'll take 3 frames into a 10 with a reducer.
How does this sound?

be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Split making feedback please.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:40:42 pm »
I would not plan to take any honey if you plan to split.  If you buy queens, you can take a full hive and split into 3 easy if they are booming.  I have done that.  But I run all deeps for brood.  I assume you have all drawn out frames from your hives before.  Drawn wax just helps new bees out so. 

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Split making feedback please.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:55 pm »
  If you buy queens, you can take a full hive and split into 3 easy if they are booming.  I have done that.  But I run all deeps for brood.  I assume you have all drawn out frames from your hives before.  Drawn wax just helps new bees out so. 

This hive has always been pretty strong - I've had them since I started and they seem to have a handle on superseding without any guidance from me.
I was considering buying queens, and I'll keep thinking that one over.
The "booming" was part of why I was thinking of waiting till about mid-may - they're usually full and bearding by then.
I don't have many full frames of drawn wax, but I could see the advantage. (the other two hives have been vacant since before last year - with no place to freeze or refrigerate old combs - so I had to clean them out.
I'll keep this in mind. - I had also seen someone comment elsewhere about just splitting them on-site, but blocking them in for 3 days (with ventilation) Is that just to commit the nurse bees to the queen they've gone to work on?

be happy and make others happy.