Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Has Anyone Here Tried This For Small Hive Beetle Prevention and Control?  (Read 2375 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I seen this quit a while back and forgot about it. Ran across this video again today and wondered if anyone here has tried this interesting product.
Phillip

https://youtu.be/MPfBrwYuVTM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:39:31 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Fascinating. Wondering how it might work for a top entrance. Also makes me question how the bees are able to ventilate the hive, unless he keeps another opening somewhere with small space hardware cloth stapled over it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Fascinating. Wondering how it might work for a top entrance. Also makes me question how the bees are able to ventilate the hive, unless he keeps another opening somewhere with small space hardware cloth stapled over it.

Good questions. I wonder Also. I am going to take a guess. If this works as good as described, we should not have to worry about leaving our hives directly in the sun. Maybe the cooler shade would reduce the need and least to some degree?  Or a even a better guess might be, The bees are masters at taking care of their brood and home. They probably know just how to set up their cooling fanning system to accommodate the ventilation question. I wonder how the bees are able to get past and through the holes, but the Small Hive Beetles cannot? I am hopeful that someone here has tried this and can fill us in on the results.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
I have seen it several years ago and there might be a thread on here somewhere.  My opinion of it is that it probably works pretty well as long as it is relatively new.  Once the bees build burr comb or smear propolis over those holes it will allow the beetles access.  It is only for bottom entrances.  The point of the tapered/bent holes facing downwards is that the beetles cannot crawl over that lip without falling.  The beetles don't fly inside the hive so they can't gain access.  The bees being bigger can get around the lip on the holes.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I have seen it several years ago and there might be a thread on here somewhere.  My opinion of it is that it probably works pretty well as long as it is relatively new.  Once the bees build burr comb or smear propolis over those holes it will allow the beetles access.  It is only for bottom entrances.  The point of the tapered/bent holes facing downwards is that the beetles cannot crawl over that lip without falling.  The beetles don't fly inside the hive so they can't gain access.  The bees being bigger can get around the lip on the holes.

Thanks Cao.

anything