Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Barb Wire Fence  (Read 9719 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Barb Wire Fence
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:36:53 am »
Would I be better off building my own fence or hiring someone. I have never built one before.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Barb Wire Fence
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:30 am »
 too little information. The title is Barb wire fence.
Any particular reason for the title. What are you trying to keep out or keep in.? And will this fence be electrified? Are you looking for a temporary fence for a portable fence?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 : smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
The tricks to building a good barb wire fence are:
Keep the lines as straight as possible.
Good anchors or braces on the end poles.
Set your poles as deep as possible, I shoot for 4' and pack them in as tight as possible or fill with cement.
You can use telephone poles, 4x4's and metal stakes. Place the telephone poles as end poles with 4x4's in the middle and stakes between them. Talk to your local power and telephone companies for a good source of poles, cheep.
If you try to use all stakes for cows, I have known of a small heard of 6 month old calves running right through a stake fence, taking the whole side down.
Set the tension on the wire at ringing tightness. The tighter the fence, the less the animals will challenge it.
Keep all wires tight.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
I am trying to keep out cows and there will be no electricity applied to it unless people think I need it. I would also like to put in a gate. This is gonig to be for my garden expansion.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:51:40 pm »
l = straight post

\ = brace against the left
/ = brace against the right

l\----l-----l-----l----/l

corner post; /l\

I fenced in about 14 acres with hog wire (field fence). I used railroad cross ties as posts between 3 to 5 T poles. Brace the end posts before you tighten the wire. I have 3 to 4 strands of barb wire above it as well. Sometimes I braced as I went. Once I braced a pole I'd remove the brace to it and keep moving. Cross ties are heavy. Try dragging them through the woods, up and down hills, digging holes with my PHDs. I fenced in goats with the mindset of keeping dogs out.

What's a PHD?

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
What's a PHD?

I do have a brother and a sister that does have Post Hole Digging degrees. It may be a little different than what you're used at for. There prefix is more like this PhD.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 07:05:20 pm »
cows will rub a fence.  It would not hurt to run a hot wire on it if you can.  If not, the posts are really important.  you don't want them pushed over, so the bracing (above) is everything.

If you run a hot wire, run it in the middle of the fence (cow nose level)  and use extenders to keep it away from the barbwire so it doesn't short out.  You can get a solar charger or one that plugs in.  Obviously...run it on the cow side of the fence   :wink:  which means if you are using T-posts you need to pay attention to which direction the posts face so the connectors go on the correct side.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 10:28:23 pm »
Thanks for the help and advice. I might should run that solar electric wire.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 12:52:54 am »
Back when I still had cows, in some places I would run electric fence, 2 strands one about knee high the other eighteen inches or so above the other first one.  Tie strips of cloth, plastic bags or something where you and other can see the wire.  Use T post and insulators.
If you are going to put up barb wire and if you can get though there easily, borrow a post hole digger for a tractor or the complete rig for your wood post, you can put up the T post with a post driver.  I don't know about where you are but here You can get on a list with local electric company and they will call you when your turn comes for some free used light poles.  For 4x4 post or smaller around here 2 ft deep is usually enough.  If going with barb or net fence brace corners and places between ever so far.  If it goes up and down hills you will need some of the bracing along.  /I\----T----T----T----I=I----T----/I\   Some of my cows were huge, I saw one come up to the fence Regular net with 2 strands of barb wire, she leaned over put her head over the top strand to eat on the other side.  As she ate and pushed against the fence she broke 2 lightered post off a the ground while I was hallooing at her.
Good luck with which ever you choose.

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:34 am »
Thanks Joe D.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 02:17:19 pm »
BW,
Here in N FL we have all sand. I always try to place our posts 4' below ground level. Even then the unbraced post will move, especially after heavy rains, so be sure to add the braces. If you have very hard rocky soil you may not need to go so deep.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 10:30:31 am »
How does one put up temporary fencing for grazing animals on a no till farm?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:09 am »
removable steal posts and cheap rolled fencing.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 09:49:28 am »
The animals don't try to flatten it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 01:47:25 pm »
The biggest test on the fen swill probably be when you first put the animals in it. A friend  of mine put about 20 yearling steers in a pasture with field fence and steel posts. The whole heard went from the truck and ran straight through the fence like it wasn't there.
Young cows are a lot harder to keep in a barb wire fence than it is to keep an adult cow.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »
That makes sense.  Puppies are escape artist too.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 01:53:41 pm »
Well I will be hiring this thing out. Cows are already in the pasture. This is just an expansion. Fruit trees, strawberries, and late flowrering shrubs for the bees

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 03:11:32 pm »
If you hire it out and don't mind telling, I would be interested in what it cost.  We were discussing at our last sit around the campfire drinking session land prices and what value was added for fenced land compared to unfenced.
Cheers
gww

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »
I will let you know once I get around to actually getting it done. I have a guy coming by to give me an estimate soon.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »
bw
Cool
gww