Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Granulated sugar feeding bad for bees?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Granulated sugar feeding bad for bees?
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:23:30 pm »
I was told that feeding straight granulated sugar was harmful because they can not digest it or something like that.  Recently I have read of several who place it on newspaper on top bars and I like the concept for its simplicity.  I have a hive reduced to a single deep box and I am thinking of placing granulated sugar on top if some of you can assure me it is safe for the bees.  Thanks.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Granulated sugar feeding bad for bees?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:39:56 pm »
Sucrose or table sugar is safe for your bees.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:06 pm »
i don't think it is meant as a substitute for syrup feeding.  it is something i do in the winter in case the bees need emergency feeding and i can not get into the hives.  i also wonder if it would be effective in a dry climate.  we are so wet that the granulated sugar absorbs moisture and is probably easier for the bees to  use.  it also takes up that moisture that might sit on my inner cover, so it is a benefit to me in that way.

syrup feeding is probably best with the dry sugar saved for emergency feeding.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:24:45 pm »
Granulated sugar is just fine for the bees as an emergency feed.  When honey is consumed by the bees, moisture is released, so maybe the sugar would have some degree of moisture in it for sure regardless of a dry climate.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
When honey is consumed by the bees, moisture is released, so maybe the sugar would have some degree of moisture in it for sure regardless of a dry climate.

That is one of the benefits of sugar boards, the moisture condenses on the sugar and the bees use it to consume the sugar.

I've bee feeding granulated sugar and sugar candy for many years with no issue.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/emergency-feeding/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:43:42 pm »
>I was told that feeding straight granulated sugar was harmful because they can not digest it or something like that. 

They can't eat it without water, but they can't eat honey without water either.  They won't take it as rapidly as syrup.  I'm trying it after seeing how well candy boards worked on a friends hives and decided I was too lazy to make the candy.  And I expanded and don't have that many feeders.  I hadn't planned on feeding, but the failure of the fall flow forced my hand.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:34:46 pm »
Good, with all your assurance I will try it.  I have a division board feeder in the wall frame position now.  It has probabably been drained by now.  Should I leave it in place empty to fill that space or replace it with a frame of foundation?  If it were earlier in the season I might try filling a frame of drawn comb with syrup but now it is too late for capping and would cause more moisture and dysentary problems correct?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 07:54:39 pm »
Does it look something like this:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/SugarFeedingFrame.jpg
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar

You can fill it with dry sugar.  :)  or leave it empty or fill it with syrup.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »
Yes, MB, it looks exactly like that except probably mine has drowned bees where yours has sugar.  Sounds like I can't go wrong.  Maybe I will refill it with 2:1 and put granulated on the top bars so they have a choice.  The ants won't know where to go first :) (until we get some cold weather). Thankyou

Sincerely,
TWB