Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bad year to start in Nor cal?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline tman97

• New Bee
Bad year to start in Nor cal?
« on: April 20, 2021, 03:12:47 am »
So I live and work on a ranch in nor cal were we have almonds so I wanted to start some bees for next years pollution. But I heard from a field man that has a guy south of me that this year is a very bad year to start bees. Said between the cost of feeding all year and losing most of them that next year would be better. Also stated that since your feeding the bees in the hive that then turn around a poop in the hive that diseases are going to be a lot worse. supposedly this guy has around 40,000 hives. But I'm not to sure I believe all of this. What do you guys think?

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Bad year to start in Nor cal?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 05:47:25 am »
I don?t know anything about almonds, but I think they are over with by now or soon. I don?t know.

If you want bees and can find them, go for it. There are other things for them to eat and collect. You will probably have to feed them to get them going in the summer and get their stores built up to winter over, but you will be ahead of the game next year if you do get them through the winter.

Sounds like he doesn?t want you encroaching in his territory. If his bees are pooping in his hives, he has sick bees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:47:09 am »
"Sounds like he doesn?t want you encroaching in his territory. If his bees are pooping in his hives, he has sick bees.""

DITTO

All bees eat all winter, or die, whether sugar water or honey. Only those with nozema poop in the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:11:56 am »
Location does matter in beekeeping. In your area are there almonds only? I have watched a few videos where there are only almonds for miles and miles. If that is the case, there may not be any other nectar flow until the next almond nectar flow next season. It could be something to consider. From what I understand, most almond Pollinators continue moving their hives from crop to crop across the nation. Perhaps this is what your guy does, continually moves his hives to other crops? Otherwise I agree with the other two replies. 

Adding, welcome to beemaster!

.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:53:41 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:19:25 am »
welcome  :happy:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:53:28 am »
Welcome to Beemaster!
I agree with the other comments.  Bees are extremely clean, and never go to the bathroom in a hive unless they are sick, and just feeding bees doesn't make them sick.  Like Ben Framed said, I'd make sure that your area has enough forage to sustain your bees when the almonds are not in bloom. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tman97

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:53:53 am »
Yeah almond pollination is over here. Ended about a month ago for us. As for what's around me we've got a lot of rice with mixture of walnuts and random other row crops. We do have roughly 2000-3000 acres of pastor land for cows where we'll store the bees for the winter and when not in the orchards. Just decided to try and lookup where this guy is out of and it is only a hour or so from me so I do agree he is probably trying to keep me away from his area.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:04 pm »
Careful with bees in pasture. Cows and horses like to rub the hives to scratch, and will turn them over.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 03:32:54 pm »
Careful with bees in pasture. Cows and horses like to rub the hives to scratch, and will turn them over.
Got to agree with that: Had some horses tip over some hives a while ago and trampled all the frames. Now if there is stock in the area Ill run an electric fence around the colonies.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 06:19:17 pm »
TMan,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Definitely sounds like he does not want you to have bees. This is rather ridiculous if he is an hour away from you. Bees don?t normally fly more than 3 to 5 miles from the hive unless they are starving. They never travel 60 miles.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 06:55:07 pm »
>  But I heard from a field man that has a guy south of me that this year is a very bad year to start bees. Said between the cost of feeding all year and losing most of them that next year would be better. Also stated that since your feeding the bees in the hive that then turn around a poop in the hive that diseases are going to be a lot worse. supposedly this guy has around 40,000 hives. But I'm not to sure I believe all of this. What do you guys think?

Is the information you have received from the actual beekeeper or second hand information from a field hand?

> Just decided to try and lookup where this guy is out of and it is only a hour or so from me so I do agree he is probably trying to keep me away from his area.

Still may be a pollinator?   
I'm still trying to figure all this out. A beekeeper which owns 40,000 hives would know better than the pooping part. Wonder if he is one of our members? If so maybe he will chime in. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:22:47 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline tman97

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:40 am »
Thank you everyone for having me.

Hey Jim as for "Bees don?t normally fly more than 3 to 5 miles from the hive unless they are starving." It doesn't have to do with them traveling. More so has to deal with me possible taking his clients in the future for pollination.

>Is the information you have received from the actual beekeeper or second hand information from a field hand?

second hand from his field man whos related to the family I work for. I was invited to go with him but didn't have the time to go as were really busy getting ready to plant. Really wished I did now.

>Still may be a pollinator?   
I'm still trying to figure all this out. A beekeeper which owns 40,000 hives would know better than the pooping part. Wonder if he is one of our members? If so maybe he will chime in.

Yeah definitely leaning towards pollination and yeah all of it isn't really adding up. That's why I'm here trying to decide if its worth the investment this year to start or wait till next year. I do already have some going but not sure if i should really push for more right now.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 02:41:35 am »
I misunderstood. I thought you were interested in getting a hive or ten for fun/hobby/make some pocket money. I?d say start anytime you can if you want to start keeping bees. But it sounds like you have bees, but might be looking for a commercial start and need a broker/ travel agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything