Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: why this bearding?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
why this bearding?
« on: April 03, 2021, 11:47:06 pm »
On this cool day, with none of the other hives bearding at all, this hive is covered. it did the same yesterday, then as night descended, they all go back in.
There is a queen piping inside, and a some sealed and some opened queen cells.
Is it just too many bees? Is it some kind of preswarm preparations?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: why this bearding?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:58:51 pm »
If you have queens piping then this hive has probably already swarmed. Your hive is holding queens locked in their cells. They are planning on swarming again and then possibly another couple of times. I just posted a copy of what happens and what to do about this. See the thread marked Queen Piping.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:31:03 pm »
Mr. Wilson, my methods may be different than yours.  Consider.  This is what I would do:

Take control of the bees, like tomorrow morning.  I would split, do not leave any hive in the present location.  Allocation of resources to each split as evenly as possible, to 5 frame or 10 frame as needed.  Make sure there is no underlying condition.  Avert the swarm as Jim warns.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 08:31:37 am »
I don't know much but I would sieve the hive through a QE and remove it.  Let the bees combine with your other hives.  I don't think you can win fighting swarms in the long run.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:24:45 pm »
I don't know much but I would sieve the hive through a QE and remove it.  Let the bees combine with your other hives.  I don't think you can win fighting swarms in the long run.

?I DON?T KNOW MUCH?  ???
Who you talking about, Ace!  Your an experienced beek, humble maybe.  I have read many an impressive post by you regarding the bees and that orange thang.  You copy?

Regarding swarming, I will win this battle with my backyard apiary.  With only a few hives, I can inspect and see the swarm cells, provide space, split, requeen, even a QE if I have to.  I built an entrance QE to lock a queen indoors if I miss above.  Occasionally, rarely, not often, a hive will surprise me, especially in July when all seems well.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 11:32:37 pm »
I?m with Mr Van.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:18:20 pm »
I had wondered if a "mouse screen" too small for a mature queen would be a good idea...or a horrible one...

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 03:07:53 pm »
Mr. Wilson, by chance, yesterday, Wednesday, a large hive was bearding onto the entrance.  I inspected and discovered:
1.  20 of 20 frames full of bees
2.  many queen cups (no eggs yet)
3.  not much space for the queen to lay as frames were full of:
     A. brood of all ages
     B. nectar
     C. pollen
     D. capped honey.

Sooooo, I split:  I now have 3 new nucs, 5 frame and the original hive has 6 empty waxed out frames for the queen to lay in creating reduction of bee population of the bearding hive.  No more crowding.  Timing was good as I have the mated Cordovan Italian queens that needed a home.  Hopefully I can successfully introduce the Cordovan queens.

There is no bearding this day by the large hive and I have early nucs for assistance in my May queen rearing.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:53:44 pm »
Van. Yes, I see.
I just read on bushfarms.com that spring bearding in cool weather is often a sign of idle bees waiting to swarm.
I hope your manipulations work.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
> 2.  many queen cups (no eggs yet)

> I hope your manipulations work.

It should work
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything