Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cost of selling nucs on honey production  (Read 774 times)

Offline yes2matt

• House Bee
  • Newbee in an urban setting, starting small.
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: cost of selling nucs on honey production
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 07:25:23 am »
THP it's good math. Where are you getting 18lbs of honey and 2 lbs of pollen? My nucs have honey and pollen but not that much??

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

" The flu was rampant and we wore flu masks. " -- Jay Smith, _Better Queens_

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 07:56:01 am »
How to properly price a stuffed 4F or basic 5F nucleus colony for sale.

The Price of the Nuc = A + B + C + D + E + F
A  the wholesale price of a 3 lb (1.5kg) package of bees + 20% to 40% for the extra bees already on order (brood)
B  retail price of 5 brand new foundation frames
C  wholesale price of 18 lbs of honey
D  wholesale price of 2lbs of pollen
E  retail price of the nuc box + 15% for your handling and logistics
F  price of 1 hour of labor for all the time spent grafting, inspecting, boosting, and growing the nuc
G  ... cost of treatments, add or leave out as free

Don't guess. Guessing is not how you do business. Do the math. If you cannot sell at whatever that number works out for you then you are either loosing money or it is really not worth your while.

Hope that helps!
Thanks honey pump that?s a great breakdown

Offline Oldbeavo

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 07:59:11 am »
We split in early Spring for swarm control.
We split our strong hives, about 25-30% of them have the brood halved. The rest may only lose 1 or 2 frames of brood.
We have a greater honey loss from swarming, losing bees in spring is losing honey. Recovery from swarming takes months.
Splitting is done in mid September for us down here.
We make more honey by splitting and the sale of nucs is a bonus. Also the nucs restore our own supply for hive maintainence.
Nucs sell for $180 in a portable box or put into the purchasers hive.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
cost of selling nucs on honey production
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 10:40:20 am »
THP it's good math. Where are you getting 18lbs of honey and 2 lbs of pollen? My nucs have honey and pollen but not that much??

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
The 18-2 is the guestimate of the bees cost to waxout new foundation and to stock those frames with resources of honey, pollen, brood. It is your lost revenue of those resources going with the nuc sale rather than you extracting, packaging, and marketing it. 1 full deep frame of honey can be close to 10 lbs.
A properly made nuc of 4 to 5 frames (for sale) should easily weight 15-20 lbs.  (imho)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:54:24 am by TheHoneyPump »
Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 01:06:12 pm »
HP great math: The other thing I pay attention to is what the market is accepting. I'm not going to sell less than the beek down the road.
After doing the math and looking at the local market I will set my price.  So if my math comes out at $165 for a nuc and the locals are selling $185 I will set my price at $185 or a little more, Just don't want to undercut or leave money on the table.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 04:10:18 pm »
The issue I occasionally encounter here is folks coming and expecting a nuc to cost same or less than a package. I promptly tell them to go pound sand (politely most of the time), but also tell them the door is always open and that they are welcome to come back for a proper startup colony after their bees are dead.
Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz