Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sugar  (Read 4416 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
sugar
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:52:15 am »
There's sugar and then there's SUGAR. What brand do you use.  Some packages says PURE CANE SUGAR others PURE SUGAR. Sooo what a person to do. How do you know where the sugar came from? I've heard of sugar coming from beets and other veges. Sooooo  what say you? Thanks. Pembroke

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: sugar
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:59:01 am »
Pure sugar is pure sugar.  Does not matter if it's from sugar cane or beets.  What you do not want is powdered sugar (which has corn starch added) or brown sugar.   
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »
The sugar you get in a bag at the store, from whatever source the raw material, is primarily Sucrose.  It's simply a glucose and fructose molecule joined together.  I haven't really investigated the itchy details of using it for bee nutrition, but from what I've read it's easier for bees to process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »
Last time I checked, most sugar produced in the USA comes from beets.  I’m thinking the number is like 60% beets, but I could be wrong.  Lots of sugar beets in the fields right now in Michigan.  Michigan is a major producer of beets.

Some people are very particular about what type of sugar they feed to the bees.  Some people insist that pure cane sugar is better for the bees than beet sugar.  Personally I use beet sugar (aka pure sugar) and haven’t had any noticeable problems.

As for the differences between beets and cane sources there are some.  Even the sugar molecules (C12H22O11) are supposedly slightly different.  With cane having a higher concentration of C-13 isotopes.  That’s an extra neutron in the carbon nucleus, so it shouldn’t affect the chemical properties.

I think what some beeks fret about is the residues in the sugar from processing beets vs processing cane.  In particular some beek worry that Neonicotinoid pesticide residues used in beet production may be in refined sugar from beets to some degree.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »
.'
Yes, pure sugar.

Then you add pure water, to where it has been used 15 different chemicals.

http://www.lenntech.com/products/chemicals/water-treatment-chemicals.htm
Language barrier NOT included

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:18:12 pm »
I tried to research the differences between cane and beet sugar last year.  I do not have a scientific brain, but did manage to absorb the fact that there is very little difference between the make up of the two. 

The biggest critics of beet sugar were all in the food industry.  It doesn't react the same as cane sugar, so things like creme brulee don't turn out as consistently.  Chefs, therefore, will stick to cane.  Beekeepers don't tend to ignite their sugar before giving it to the bees, though, so I don't see this as a set back.

If you have a lot of hives, the difference of a few pennies a pound can add up quick.  I'm sure the bees will tell us over time whether or not it's all good.

Offline jtow

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »
Personally I stay with Cane Sugar and polluted tap water as opposed to beet sugar as I've read that the majority of beet sugar produced in this country is from genetically modified beets; trying to keep my poisons done as much as I can.  ;)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »
I like the sugar that is on sale.    :-D

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:03:56 pm »
With all the posting about feeding your bees right now......I went out and bought 20 pounds of sugar and mixed up a HUGE batch (2:1) of sugar water to feed my bees.

I put out a large bucket (opening feeding) two days ago.....not one single bee is interested in this stuff.  The ants are loving it but I am a bit surprised that the girls are ignoring it.  So I have lots of sugar mixture sitting around.

Anyone have any ideas why they are ignoring it?  My guess is that they are finding other sources of food and don't want to "lower" themselves to taking the sugar water right now.... 

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:45 pm »

Anyone have any ideas why they are ignoring it?  My guess is that they are finding other sources of food and don't want to "lower" themselves to taking the sugar water right now.... 

We're about 90 -95 miles South of You , Bees are bringing in Pollen by the Ton !

Bee=bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
gailmo,

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks back:  set out sugar syrup to open feed and the girls didn't touch it for two days, even added a little HBH, and finally pure honey around the edges of the container.  Then, out of the blue, on the third day, I guess one of them found it and now they are wolfing the stuff down daily. 

I, too, thought maybe they had another source, but the way they went after it once they found it, and since, I think it just took them a while to find it.  Why, I don't know.  The ants sure get there fast enough.

I am just putting out 4-5 lbs of sugar mixed in water a day for my 3 hives.  It is all I can afford.  The price of sugar keeps going up, up, up.
linda d

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »
Neither the bees nor I care as long as it's pure white sugar.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#kindofsugar

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:36 pm »
I'm just using the cheapest sugar wal-mart sells.  I am doing open feedings and just using 8 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons of water.  I know its a thin mix, but we have not had rain in some time and I figured the extra water couldnt be too bad.  To help the girls find it I just add one crushed up peppermint that says its made it with real mint oil.  Currently Im going through 5 gallons of this a day.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
Gailmo,  I may have an advantage because we're in a drought, and the bees went from a quart a day to a quart in hours.  I had to open feed, because strangers were very civilly going into the hive to get to the syrup.  I put a feeder made from an old Cat food bucket with a tight fitting lid about 200 ft from the nearest hives.

What I did was to take a zip type bag, put a little piece of cloth with a drop of Lemon Grass Oil on it, and rub it around on the inside of the bag.  The smell permeates the pores in the plastic.  I set that on the board I had the feeder on, close to where the syrup would come out, and it took them about 30 minutes to find it.

Once they got going, there are so many bees you just see a mass moving.  I took the bait off and put it away in the fridge.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
Neither the bees nor I care as long as it's pure white sugar.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#kindofsugar

Interestingly in jamaica we use mostly brown sugar and it doesnt seem to affect the bees

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 03:22:14 am »
You also don't have winters in Jamaica where they can't take cleansing flights all winter.  But brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses is know to be toxic to bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 07:14:38 am »
If your bees don't take open fed syrup, they're buzy hitting on something else.  Our winter is fast approaching, my bees are just now starting to take open feeding, although I've had it available for them for at least a couple weeks.  They're still on the goldenrod and asters for now, but it won't be long.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline MattWilliams

• Brood
    • Water Treatment Products
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 04:48:08 am »
1 The average American eats 61 pounds of refined sugar each year, including 25 pounds of candy. Halloween accounts for at least two pounds of that. 2 Trick: Sugar may give you wrinkles via a process called glycation, in which excess blood sugar binds to collagen in the skin, making it less elastic.

Water Treatment Products

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 11:55:01 am »
Matt,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin