Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Cane question  (Read 4261 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Sugar Cane question
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:26 pm »
My sugar cane seems to be doing pretty good for this area. Some of it has shoots coming out of the joints. Is this cane ruint? Should I take the ones mentioned and plant them?

Something else I do this time of year is take off the lower leaves(?) sugar cane don't have leaves but that's all I know to call it. I take them off because they look like they are dying and "supposedly" it gives good color to the area exposed. Fact or fiction - or don't really matter?

thanks
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline willyjoekc

• New Bee
Re: Sugar Cane question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »
GSF, yes you can cut the shoots and plant it, but i would wait until harvest. At that time, the roots will come out of the joint below the shoots. Cut a few inches below the joint and plant it, this will increase a higher % of survival for the shoots. You can also use the tip of the cane to plant too. The best time to harvest is to wait for frost to set in. This will increase the sweetness for the cane, but whenever the cane is old enough you should harvest, otherwise the center of the cane will have a red line. Enjoy your sugarcane!       

william kc

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:37:58 pm »
Knowing absolutely nothing about growing sugar, is the red line bad or just strange looking?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline willyjoekc

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:53 pm »
Actually there is nothing wrong with the redline. The only thing is that it may cause the cane to split, which we do not want.

P.S. We usually keep a couple of sugar canes overwinter. The ones that you harvest, keep about 8-12 inches close to the root; cover with the cane leaves and next Spring, the shoots will come out from the roots.

-KC

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:34:08 pm »
Actually there is nothing wrong with the redline. The only thing is that it may cause the cane to split, which we do not want.

P.S. We usually keep a couple of sugar canes overwinter. The ones that you harvest, keep about 8-12 inches close to the root; cover with the cane leaves and next Spring, the shoots will come out from the roots.

-KC

How long of a growing season do I need for sugarcane? Can I start it in a green house? I think it would be neat to try.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »
Thanks KC, I usually cut it close to the ground and it comes back up. I also throw a whole stalk in there rather than sections, whole stalk minus the leaves. This is my third year fooling with it and it seems to be doing pretty good.

I look at sugar cane and think corn. One thing I did learn this year with cane was dealing with aphids. I've had sugar ant problems galore around my sugar cane. I never gave it much a thought about aphids. Hint: if you have sugar ant problems (as in crawling all over a plant) you have aphid problems. I've sprayed the ants plenty of times but they always came back in a couple of days. I turned the leaves over and saw they were covered with aphids. I sprayed them and the ants went away. Symbiotic relationship. Then my sugar cane started jumping.

Eric, mine came up, I'm thinking April maybe? Could have been late march. It's mid September now and it's still growing. It's a grass, I'd say give it a shot and let us hear about it. I remember one of the beeks from Louisiana saying they saw bees on the cuts that was left when they harvested it. 
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:51:26 am »
I think I might try starting it in a pot in my house in march then. Where can I get some shoots? heck if I am growing it in a pot in the house I could probably grow it all year long.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:25:04 pm »
I've always bought the sugar cane stalk and planted it. If you can't find any let me know.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
It's getting that time of year again..,

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:47 am »
What kind of soil type do you plant sugar cane in?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 12:57:43 pm »
I only have one strip of sugar cane. It goes from clay to loam and some with a good bit of sand. You just have to work it like anything else. I make sure the grass don't take over and it usually turns out alright.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:26 am »
I am far enough south that my soil is a pretty consistent sandy clay loam. I might try that in my garden expansion. Does it need a lot of water?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 03:15:53 pm »
I usually water mine once or twice. Mainly because we have a dry spell every now and again, plus it's not that far from the hydrant.