Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving hives; NOT 3 feet OR 3 miles - What's the best way?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Moving hives; NOT 3 feet OR 3 miles - What's the best way?
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:29:23 am »
This question came up in another thread - and there were some pretty good answers.  But I thought it would be a good idea to make a separate thread on the subject to get more input.

I've had to move 8 hives to the other side of my backyard - about 15 to 20 feet away. Have to clear the wall of my house so the workers could install ductless AC. (Who says Climate Change is a hoax? Rhetorical question only.)

What's the best way to do this without causing massive confusion and loss of work force?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
Re: Moving hives; NOT 3 feet OR 3 miles - What's the best way?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:24 pm »
One option is to lock them in. I do that on splits. Nice if the weather is working with you. Overcast and rain are good. Be sure to supply water. Put something in front of entrance. A robbing screen or branches so they know to reorient. Release in 2 or 3 days.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »
Since I know you have no where else to move them and have to do it now, I would move them all at one time during the night and put a baffle in front of all of the hives. Here in Florida I cut a piece of palmetto, including the long stem, and stick it in the ground. Being only 20 feet they will smell the hive they came from. There will be some confusion at first but if there are no hives in the old location they will figure it out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:34:52 pm »
I have moved hives as much as 20 to 25 yards by moving them 4 or 5 feet everyday.  It is a pain in the butt however the foragers always figured out the new location after a little buzzing around.  In my case, I have a tractor and forks on a front end loader that makes moving a good bit easier.  If this is not practical for you, the above suggestions work as well.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:46:13 pm »
Awww...2Sox, when you're done with your a/c installation, you don't want to run 8 "Bee Bus" boxes across the yard, every night at dusk, for a week ? Lol! :cheesy:

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:00:39 pm »
One option is to lock them in. Release in 2 or 3 days.
Is another option to lock them in while the work is being done and then move them back? I am assuming the original placement was the preferred location to start with.

How long can you lock them in for? Does locking them in rile them up?
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:31:36 am »
Bee careful locking up your bees. It is very easy to kill them. If you do, make sure they have a good water supply in the hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:42:51 am »
Bee careful locking up your bees. It is very easy to kill them. If you do, make sure they have a good water supply in the hive.
Jim Altmiller

I completely agree.  Many times I've had to move my bees and stapled some galvanized screening to lock them in. I do this at night. Once there were so many bees overflowing the entrance, it was impossible to do this, so I used my bee vac to get the hanging bees on the outside. In the morning I vacuumed the ones that were hanging on the screening and off we went.  When we got to the location, I opened the cage in front of the hive entrance and things were fine.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:41:36 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:42 am »
I have had no problem locking them in for short periods of time. They transport cross country locked in. I use screen bottom boards, vented top and supply water. The weather can help or hurt you so timing is important. For short moves at home yard I move 4 ft a day.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 02:05:24 pm »
I have two more hives to move - well technically 4.  I had to split both of them. So taking some of the information suggested here, and an idea I heard somewhere, yesterday morning I put a horizontal piece of green painters tape on each of the two sections of one split and blue vertical pieces on the 2 sections of the other.  I moved one blue and one green split to the new location about 15 feet away last night. My thinking is that the color imprinted on the workers will guide them to their correct home during the day today (in the unmoved splits in the old location) and also hopefully in the new location. When I finally move the remaining two tonight, I hope the bees will orient to their imprinted color in the new location.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:39 pm »
So, what is the best way to supply water to a hive while it's locked up? .. and stacked on pallets? ... moving across the country for 2 or 3 days?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 04:09:35 pm »
Try adding a 2" shim to the top.
In aluminum or tupperware type trays fill with sponge.  Add water.
Refill with water as needed.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 04:43:35 pm »

Ahhh - thank you sir. I was wondering how they did it.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 06:44:57 pm »
Well ventilated hives and drive like hell.
Usually 2 drivers.
Some of the long trips, 1000k+ may be staged with bees shifting to an area and then finishing the trip at a later date. This is mainly for almond pollination.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 12:14:32 pm »
When I recently moved one of my captured swarms to a spot about 40 ft away,  I didn't notice any bees carrying a tape measure, so I moved the hive about 6 or 8 feet per day.  It worked out fine.

Not 3 feet and not 3 miles.

Make note,  the hives get heavier and heavier each day.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »

Ahhh - thank you sir. I was wondering how they did it.

I did not know this either. Thanks for posting.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:11 am »
If you are moving all your hives just do it.  If you were just moving one hive away from the apiary it will lose some bees.  Unfortunately, the bees will return to the old location and then the new location when returning from forage runs.  I think you will have to give it a few weeks before work starts if the workers don't like bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 11:28:22 pm »
I just move them. I don't worry about 3 feet or 3 miles. When I get a hive moved I take a big oak leaf and pin it in front of the entrance with a push pin to get them to re-orientate. Works well

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:49 pm »

Bill This is my dog. I went out and took a quick photo for you. He was at ease, and didn't mind posing.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:26:14 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 11:02:20 am »

Bill This is my dog. I went out and took a quick photo for you. He was at ease, and didn't mind posing.  :cheesy:

Beautiful dog. I love BC. Heres my new one.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 11:06:51 am »

Beautiful dog. I love BC. Heres my new one.

Soooooo cute!!!  What is his/her name?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:11 pm »
I love them also. Amazingly smart and easy to communicate with and eager to please. They make a good friend.
Very nice puppy.  :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »
I just realized that I have got off subject. Sorry Mr 2Sox.  My apologies. 
Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 02:32:31 pm »
Phillip
Oh you are right, Phillip.  Sorry, 2Sox!  It's just hard to remember what you were talking about before when a cute puppy enters the conversation!   :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 04:33:22 pm »
Phillip
Oh you are right, Phillip.  Sorry, 2Sox!  It's just hard to remember what you were talking about before when a cute puppy enters the conversation!   :cheesy:

billdean had posted and I saw his dog and stepped out and took a quick picture of mine which looks a lot like his . And here we are . I should have started a link on the farm living heading where you have the rabbit topic.
Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin