Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarming season in north qld?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline sutho1973

• New Bee
swarming season in north qld?
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:12:33 pm »
Hi everyone

Its my first post and I'm new to beekeeping. Just wondering if anyone could tell me when to expect swarms in the north qld region? I have recently purchased a couple of technoset plastic hives and have a number of baited swarm traps set up but so far no luck.

I live on 20 acres with lots of mango and lychee trees all around which are absolutely teeming with bees.

Beekeeping seems like a great hobby to get into and my kids are really keen to be a part of it. Got the bee book, the hives and have read up heaps.......... now just need the bees 😊

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: swarming season in north qld?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:47:23 pm »
Hey Bud, I would say NOW!!!! is Swarm season.  I have Hived 12 already this season so BEE Ready.
Mate if you were closer I would sell you some Nuc's as I have Bee 's everywhere at the moment. For a hobbyist 35 Hives is getting a bit to many.

Cheers
Steve

Offline sutho1973

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:03 am »
Thanks for the reply Steve. Your right, 35 would keep you busy I'm guessing 😊. Last year a swarm flew right over my head out the back of the house but I wasn't really paying attention as to what time of the year it was. There has been heaps of bee activity amongst all the flowering trees the last few weeks so I was thinking some swarms might be around the corner.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:01 am »
Lots of beeks at Majors Creek so you should be able to nick some of their swarms  :)

Here's some info about the local bee club if you're interested  http://www.beesnorth.org/

Lone

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:52 am »
Now is the time I have bees down woodstock guru road but all mine are branded so please return them if ya catch em
Mick
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:49:37 am »
I better bee careful and start checking the Brands on the swarms I've hived.

Offline sutho1973

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:36:33 am »
Haha no worries Mick. I'm on Woodstock Giru rd also. We have been here around 18 months and love it. We are trying to be a little bit more self sufficient and having bees and our own honey are the next step for us. As far as swarm traps go what do u recommend as bait? I have a couple with swarm lures that I purchased and just got a bottle of lemon grass oil to try also. I'm constantly saying to my wife " I'm just going to check the swarm traps" and then take a beer or three and dissappear for an hour.

Lyndon

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 05:30:12 am »
I have some hives for sale

Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

anything