Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old tires, any good use or pitch?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Old tires, any good use or pitch?
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:17 am »
I have about 30-40 old tires on my property.  I spent the winter gathering them and the flooding gave me a few more. 
Is there any good use for old tires or is it better to take them to the recycling center.  I can get rid of them for $2 a piece. 
I was thinking they'd be a good back stop on the shooting range or deposited on hillside areas with lot of erosion problems.  Or just getting them out of here....
Any good ideas?

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Old tires, any good use or pitch?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:09:57 am »
I have seen old timers stack and fill them for retaining walls. On the other hand they are indicated in pollution.
Neill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:45:44 am »
Lovely idea Iddee, thank you.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:45:45 am »
Recycling would work much better if they gave you 2 bucks a piece but it is a political money grab that discourages recycling.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:04:28 am »
I've seen potatos grown quite well in tyre towers.
But with the cost of potatos you may as well cash them in and buy them......

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:17:12 am »
Skeggley, you don't get 2.00 each. You pay 2.00 each.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:33:34 am »
Oh I see, well that's a different pot of potatos then...

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:46:58 am »
Oh no no no.  I am required to pay the recycling center to take them. 
If I could get $2 each for them, it would be done!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:52 pm »
I got a couple tires that I was planning on using as mini raised beds for a tomato plant or two.  I've seen them painted to pretty them up some but I think iddee's suggestion beats that. 

As far a recycling goes, I'm all for it but what alot of people don't realize is that there is not a market for a lot of what is recycled in those bins that they place by the curb.  I've seen news stories(local and national) about glass that was saved for recycling just being hauled to the dump by the semi load because they couldn't give it away.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »
I have used them for planting. anything that you want to keep warmer, like peppers or tomatoes do well.  You can stack them as high as you wish and plant potatoes in them. 

Whatever you do, keep the water out of them as mosquitoes love to breed in them!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »
Decided to use them for erosion control.  They'll be full of dirt soon enough.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:40:54 pm »
You have to pay to dispose of the tires and yet we have to pay $2.00 disposal fee when we buy them.
Amazing isn?t it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:55 pm »
 :embarassed:
You have to pay to dispose of the tires and yet we have to pay $2.00 disposal fee when we buy them.
Amazing isn?t it.
Jim

Is that a fee for new tires, or for the ones being replaced?  I see places here selling used tires.  I wonder how many times they collect that $2 fee.  And then I cringe to think I'm on the same roadway as people who buy my worn out tires that I don't trust on my car, but somehow am supposed to trust on somebody else's car. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »
Dallas,
That is a fee we have to pay when we buy tires. It is really just an added tax. Supposedly for when the tires are disposed of.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 05:10:26 am »
my neighbor has stacked tractor tires in 3 locations and planted rhubarb in them seems to work pretty well as planters
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 04:24:33 pm »
Sweet Wife has a few she uses for flower beds. She paints them wild colors.
Neill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 10:09:21 am »
:embarassed:
Amazing isn?t it.
Jim

Is that a fee for new tires, or for the ones being replaced?  I see places here selling used tires.  I wonder how many times they collect that $2 fee.  And then I cringe to think I'm on the same roadway as people who buy my worn out tires that I don't trust on my car, but somehow am supposed to trust on somebody else's car.

Dallas, I had an old man tell me that tires, car batteries and Christmas trees are in the same category. The cheaper you buy the better off you are! He also said tires are made to wear to the slick part. lol.  I don't know if he was kidding. lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 12:46:15 pm »
Phillip,
Those slick tires are great for traction until you hit a little bit of water. 🤭
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 01:33:02 pm »
Good Point Jim,  Has happened in racing also. I  seen a clip of a wreck of a Roger Penske Pennzoil Indy Car because of just a little quick shower.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything