Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees flying @ 39 degrees  (Read 2156 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Bees flying @ 39 degrees
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »
Went down about 2:30 this afternoon expecting to see no activity, but instead on one hive  there were probably 50 or so flying about and on the porch crowding in and out of the 3/4 X 3/8 entrance.  Sunny, clear, no wind and only 39 degrees F (about 4 C)  for the high.    This was the nicest day this week - I figure they needed to take a leak.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bees flying @ 39 degrees
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:24:17 pm »
I once saw a steady stream of bees going out to forage for something when it was 27 F and dead calm and sunny.  It's never dead calm here, and that must have played into it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:14:07 pm »
I once saw a steady stream of bees going out to forage for something when it was 27 F and dead calm and sunny.  It's never dead calm here, and that must have played into it.

What in the world do they bring in with that sort of weather ? Do they get dried pollen from dead plants or off the ground ?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »
My best guess was water from the nearby stream, but it seems doubtful it would be warm enough to drink...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:18:26 am »
 Haven't seen 'em flying that low yet.... but it was 44F on Sat here and there were a few out bringing back pollen.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:46:22 pm »
Saturday was in the 30's and sunny, a few tried to get out, but didn't make it back... :(
Rick

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:01:39 pm »
Saturday was in the 30's and sunny, a few tried to get out, but didn't make it back... :(

Same here too. :(

At least they survived the first sub-zero nights.

Jay

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:25:03 pm »

Same here too. :(
At least they survived the first sub-zero nights.

Jay

Wee need to talk if yours live over the winter, I am thinking I did something totally wrong. i haven't checked on them since the 5 dead outs, still haven't even gone to the outyard. hard now with all that snow. gotta walk a 50 acre field.
I have been really busy with my other hobby. now is a hot time for me. plus work is still keeping me busy. Guess thats good.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

anything