Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bees  (Read 15373 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
Re: New Bees
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2020, 07:03:22 pm »
welcome to the obsession. i noticed in your pic of eyelet tool an end frame that apears to have tacks in the end. are these spacers?  :smile:

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:05 pm »
Welcome!

That is all so awesome!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2020, 10:13:57 pm »
welcome to the obsession. i noticed in your pic of eyelet tool an end frame that apears to have tacks in the end. are these spacers?  :smile:
For a fast way to tie the wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2020, 10:15:14 pm »
BTW, I?m not even really sure that?s a queen, but I marked her to keep an eye on her. That was a couple days after a queen cell was found open.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2020, 12:58:24 am »
I?ll try to make a video of the wire tying next time I get a chance.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2020, 10:11:59 pm »
Got a few underway 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2020, 10:18:32 pm »
Looks
Like that was a young queen after all in that little nuc split. Still no eggs. I first found and marked her on 7/3. She is at least 15 days old.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2020, 10:20:06 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2020, 05:57:14 pm »
Scratch that. Looks like the queen from the spilt I did a couple weeks ago ended up in the nuc somehow. The split I had the put that queen in has been robbed out and only a few sparse frames of bees were in there. She is laying. I found some eggs in there today. I dumped the bees out of the robbed out box and put all that equipment away.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »
I did find a new queen in the hive that had been queenless so long. She has started to lay and there are some young larvae. I marked her once I found her. The first pic has her as an unmarked queen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:55 pm »
Was that smaller one I marked a queen and the other queen from the robber hive absconded and moved into the nuc and killed her? The other marked bee is not present.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2020, 11:40:56 pm »
I now have moved the frames from the nuc that I had on the post style hive stand into a nuc I made last week. So to recap. I screwed up. I was leaving for two weeks and put a hive top feeder on blocks near the new split with the queen that came out of one of the original hives, and the weak split in the nuc. I didn?t have enough feeders to go around, so I figured I would offer free choice feeding, you know, like they are cows or something. I imagine a feeding frenzy ensued. And that probably turned into a robbing situation between the four hives.
Looks like the split with the slate top got robbed out. Nothing but some scant bees and dry comb. They absconded and took over the weak nuc next to it. The queen started laying some and seems at home. I dumped the robbed out hive and put everything away. The bees bearded on the nuc and were all inside it by nightfall. This morning a got up early and trapped them in the nuc, added the dry drawn comb from the robbed hive and took them for a drive to give them a change of scenery. Several miles separated and Mason Jar top feeders should give them something to put in those empty frames since the stores had almost been depleted also. I?ll let them get some brood going and sugar water honey before I retrieve them back to my house.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2020, 08:52:10 pm »
Neglected to bring my smoker to the remote nuc for inspection. 20minutes later with some scrap out of the truck and Shazam!!  Who said you cant fix anything with duct tape?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2020, 09:44:19 pm »
How many bees are you planning for...? :wink:
I thought you were buying some from me.

30 If you are intending to eventually selling nucs you might be on to something being there are now many folks who beekeep in Medium Langstroth Bee Hives these days. You might 🐝 busting into a wide open market!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2020, 10:19:11 pm »
How many bees are you planning for...? :wink:
I thought you were buying some from me.

30 If you are intending to eventually selling nucs you might be on to something being there are now many folks who beekeep in Medium Langstroth Bee Hives these days. You might busting into a wide open market!
Well, I was just joking. I have to stop killing all my bees if I want to raise some for other people.

This little nuc that had no resources last week, now is full of syrup in the top box, a fair amount of pollen, and lots of larvae and some capped.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:03:13 am by .30WCF »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2020, 05:07:12 am »
Here is that smoker I made yesterday in action.

https://youtu.be/s8pHthtmrgk

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:31:50 am by .30WCF »

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2020, 09:30:57 am »
that new smoker is trick. personally i don't use dont own a smoker, too cheap .i make a small fire throw some wet straw on it and smoke myself . after a couple of min. of that the bees ignore me .  if i want to move some bees i have a brush made from pheasant tail feathers, it is also smoked.its all a lot of fun. however im trying to sell my hives bees and all.  soon to be 85 lifting a full super from the top of a chin high hive is too much.               
 :smile:

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2020, 11:27:11 am »
that new smoker is trick. personally i don't use dont own a smoker, too cheap .i make a small fire throw some wet straw on it and smoke myself . after a couple of min. of that the bees ignore me .  if i want to move some bees i have a brush made from pheasant tail feathers, it is also smoked.its all a lot of fun. however im trying to sell my hives bees and all.  soon to be 85 lifting a full super from the top of a chin high hive is too much.               
 :smile:
You could scale down to just keeping nucs and stack them 2-3 boxes high if you wanted to keep after it a little bit just for the fun of it.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2020, 12:16:13 pm »
Checked the hives at the house today.
The hive I split 21 days ago still has no eggs. There hasn?t been a queen cell in there for two weeks. No brood for two weeks either.
I moved over a frame of eggs and young larvae from the new queen next to it.
Best case is a queen returns from a long mating flight. Next best is I raise a new queen and she starts laying around end of September.
I can combine or dump them out and save the empty comb.
What sounds best this time of year if I don?t see a queen or eggs by next week or the week after?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:37:50 pm by .30WCF »

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2020, 03:43:17 pm »
im a new beekeeper 1 year . if it was my hive i would take a frame of brood and eggs and shake off all the bees and build a screen cage about 6x10 to cover some brood and honey and eggs. and install this in the troubled hive after one week there should be some new bees bound to the new queen and some brood . this will serve to stop laying workers and cause the new queen to be accepted the cage can then be removed. i was at the point of doing this [ built a cage and priced a local queen]  decided to wait a few more days and finally found some capped brood and realized they were ok.

anything