Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So, SHTF are you ready to bug-out or hunker down?  (Read 15330 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
So, SHTF are you ready to bug-out or hunker down?
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:57:55 am »
I thought about this last night and thought I'd post it. I could do a poll as well.

I'm wondering if you are ready for a natural disaster or civil disturbance? Do you have a bug out bag ready, or do you have at least 7 days supplies on the ready?

Hurricane Sandy kept us without power for 8 days and I was keep what food didn't rot in the fridge - I got a super-sized cooler from a friend and filled milk jugs to free as ice.

I know I wasn't prepare for Sandy, I would gotten a C+ maybe, but I'm not a dooms day prepper. Sandy caused great damage here beside disseminating all the homes on our Atlantic Coast. If Sandy were even 5 miles further inland it would have been devastating - in NJ, you have 40 thousand homes that would have taken the wind damage but still loss of homes. Sandy was the triple crown of storms: Sandy swelled the ocean and slammed it against our shore.

Now on topic a little, what weapons would you have ready to either protect your home or to bug-out?

I have read so many forums and watched so much great gun stuff and the majority of preppers want a .22 rifle with a scope and their points on why are all valid - I it a good small game hunting weapon and serve it's purpose with fairly cheap ammo in great abundance - when you can find it.

Now a Henry 22 rifle (made in New Jersey in case you didn't know, has a capacity of around 22 .22lr and 28 .22 shorts - is a highly suggested weapon for protecting your home - very effective because of the barrel length and speed of the bullets through a rifle. Ironically, you can not buy that rifle in NJ - it exceeds our 15 round limit.

So if you had 2 handguns, and two long-arms what guns do you depend on to save your life?

Remember, I don't have a lot of weapons, so my answer is:

SKS - semi-auto 10 round attached magazine fed by stripper clips - it shoots 7.62x39 (AK ammo) I can get off 80 rounds a minute with the SKS.

My only real choice for a second rifle is a Mosin Nagant M44 - 5 rounds, bolt action, fixed round fixed magazine , fed by stripper clips. the 7.62x54R cartridge it uses would make an elephant crap his diaper when it goes off. Someone might think you are shooting 50 cals at them with that sound.

I'd take the SKS for lead gun. Not to leave out these are both bayoneted.

Simple right now:

Main gun - Glock 19 gen4 and a bunch of magazines and fair count in ammo.
Ruger .22 sp-101 revolver - 8 rounds of .22 in a cylinder and 30 pound box of .22 ammo - Not an ideal weapon, but a very accurate one within  30 yards.

So, I and my wife end up with a rifle and handgun each. We have very little selection - many of you have a huge collection and I really am curious how you decide on a particular weapon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:22:34 am by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: So, SHTF are you ready to bug-out or hunker down?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »
If I were headed to the mountains to survive, I'd take a single shot .22 LR rifle and a few thousand rounds.  A scope would be nice but I'd want it to have iron sights as well in case of failure.  The ammo doesn't weigh much and every round can put some food in the pot.  If being able to carry the ammo wasn't an issue, I'd take a 6.5x55 swedish mauser with a good scope (and iron sights) and a few thousand rounds.  Every round could put an elk in the pot... from half a mile...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »
For around my house it would be  my  22  for range and small game, then i would say shotgun. For just point and shoot. Just the sound of the pump action makes you pay attention. We have our own little farm here so meat,eggs and what not we would be ok. If we got over run well it would be take to the woods . With bare min.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:54 am »
Ok... I don't consider myself a prepper. But that said I look at things a little differently than most. Rather than keeping stockpiles of food I would rather grow my own or shoot wild game. Where I live I don't think that masses of looters trying to feed themselves are going to be an issue. So in that regard I don't think I will need the gun to defend my food supply. I do think that it is a good idea to have a gun to get the food supply. With that in mind I would say that I have my ruger 10/22 for squirrels if I need it but for most small game I think a shotgun is a better approach. I have a young GSP and he is becoming a really good bird dog. For deer it depends what my approach is. If I am going to be in the woods then I would use a 12 gauge with slugs but in the open a 30/06 is my weapon of choice. Several years ago rifles were illegal to hunt deer where I live. So I have a rifled shotgun that with open sites I shot a deer at 130 yards. A couple years ago I made the the same shot with the rifle and it took off and I couldn't find it. It hadn't snowed and I just couldn't see it with the brown on brown. It was about 10' away in the woods. The shotgun dropped it where it hit.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:23:45 am »
I think FEMA has stated that everyone should have at least 3 weeks of food supply. DHS has said people who stockpile food are considered "persons of interest".

It is most certainly a good idea to have something put up. In my area we will most likely be confronted by hoards of people. 33 miles n of Montgomery, 70 miles s of Birmingham.

The first 90 days will be the most deadliest as far as people killing each other for food. I think everyone should have at least enough food to get them through a year. Then there's the medical issues you will be confronted with, i.e. flu, infections, normal meds, ect.
If you plan to grow your own then make sure you have enough fertilizer, seeds, and poison for a couple of years - incase of crop failure. It takes a lot of thinking to be prepared for something like this. It would be a great population control measure - if you cater to the population control crowd.

As far as ammo, the only time you don't need more ammo is if you're swimming or on fire.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:01:43 am »
>I think FEMA has stated that everyone should have at least 3 weeks of food supply. DHS has said people who stockpile food are considered "persons of interest".

Maybe DHS and FEMA should try talking to one another...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:54:16 am »
I think 3 weeks in a minimum.  kind of depends on you and where you are.  3 weeks after Katrina i ran across a family living in their car and begging supplies.  they'd decided to stay in NO and there was nothing left for them....+ they had no money.  no gas, no food, no diapers...

I ended up giving them most of my MREs and that was all I had to give at that moment.

so....I think we should be prepared to shelter in place or to bug out.  what we do depends on what has happened.  one of the biggest mistakes i see among people who are prepared (have food, water, and ammo) is that they don't have it ready to go. 

the biggest mistake among the general population is that they are unprepared.  they believe they will be rescued and that supplies will be brought to them no matter what.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864

I highly recommend the above book.  it's not a literary masterpiece, but it's a good read.  as many disasters as I have attended, this book brought up some things that I had not thought about.  one thing was that people in cities seem to think that people in the country will be able to feed them, or that they will be able migrate to the country and "hunt" food. 
that's a scary thought   :sad:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
One week after Katrina, I was in Gulfport, Ms. They had areas set up with truckloads of food and water. You just drove through and they loaded your truck or trunk. No questions asked. Some families gathered a year's supply of free groceries. I have never seen such an uncontrolled waste in my life.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:29 pm »
>that's a scary thought

Especially when you live in the country...
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »
I have never seen such an uncontrolled waste in my life.

there was a lot of waste.  on the other hand, the areas were so flooded with donations, much not what was needed but well intentioned, that getting stuff out the door to make room for what was needed was sometimes a priority. 

if ever you find yourself wishing to help in a disaster and want to donate, donate money.  find the charity of your choice and trust them to make good use of the funds.  nothing worse than a semi load of cloths, when it's water you need.  :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »
I think I have a better idea. I was there one week after the storm. In a week, I put 7 mattress factories back in business. Many of them were donating and highly discounting mattresses to the one needing them. I did it all on a bill later plan.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »
not everyone has a skill like yours iddee   :wink:

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 04:08:02 pm »
   This was brought up one evening.  Many spoke about collecting precious stones and metals, as well as the semi-precious ones, to get what they wanted or needed.  One man was quiet for a while and then he told me that the ones who will do the best are those with heirloom seeds and the ability to protect it.  Plus have enough dry and canned items, that can be supplemented with fresh meat, to get through until harvest.  Me?  Heading to family lands and avoiding everyone we can.  My kids know some outdoor lore.  Just wish I could teach them more.  Maybe send my wife and daughters to BOW (Becoming and Outdoor Woman)...  Fortunately the Boy Scouts still require some real outdoor training.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 07:48:19 pm »
The Holy Bible -The First and Foremost SHTF/Prepper manual...

Yup, gold coins and pretty rocks are hard to swallow.  :cool:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 11:06:00 pm »
Anybody ever see the movie "the year zero?  I think that is what it is called.  I think it is on you tube.  What I don't know is if I am the only one who will watch a black and white movie.
Cheers
gww

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 11:16:10 pm »
I plan to stay put. I purchased my land on a peninsula on a creek. 40 foot wide with 6 foot water and 30 foot sides. The acsess to the pinsula is by bridge. ( boom). Then only 30 foot land access . easy to protect. Guns 17hmr bolt action has great take down and ?long range. You can take deer easily. Then 22 rifle.  Personal protection 45 acp handgun and45 acp aassault rifle custom built ( didn't like the one for sale in shops.) With 20 round clips give good coverage. Then 9mm then 22 hand for close contact. I have had 22 and 17 sense they came out. Still have ammo from when I was a kid in dry boxes. I found a place going on of business and bought all his long storage dry foods . have a 4 year supply to feed us and then niegbors that are on this pinsula to. All in a air tight building . we lose power in storms for 2 or more days so  we do use the dry goods to eat. Wifecan't travel  so stay put is the only option I have. Plus I store heirloom seeds too. From my mom's garden she had .she taught us how to store and harvest seeds.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:02 pm »
I know it is about fire arms but I would pick a bow. Sorry to offend but everybody in the neighborhood has horses. I think it offended them that I would take down a horse for food, as for refrigeration, they had lots of horses. Water is key and I would think the local river with a bucket brigade to a 250 gallon tote. Maybe Run it through a 400 micron honey filter and boil it?
I would also select shotgun for the reasons already stated.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
When we bought this house in 2008, the stairs had a bit of bounce that bugged me - so I fortified the steps creating a very hearty room between the under the stairs and the laundry room.

I call this the fall-out shelter and have equipped it with food, water and a degree of comfort in case another hurricane Sandy comes again - she only missed us by 10 miles, homes 8 miles away were destroyed for 60 miles of coastline.

I keep enough food and water for 2 weeks there and if our home crumbled around us, I believe it would be safe enough for us to not get crushed - us and the 2 cats of course. I'm counting on anything to hit us to allow us escape or at least be rescued, we are not isolated here - the police dept is only a mile away as is fire rescue.

It's having enough supplies for consumption and waste issue that give you piece of mind. With smartphones (if towers are still in order) and a good radio and quality flashlights, I think we'd live in minimal comfort, but have all the essentials we need.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 12:58:35 am »
I have lived in south Mississippi for over 60 years.  Have seen several hurricanes come through.  Katrina was the last one to come by our house, we were out of power for 22 days, but have been without power for days from other hurricanes.  The main things that I got was tarps for the roof, Ice and water.  I had bought a small generator, but it was 75 miles to a gas station with power to pump.  So you needed to take a good size container and be ready to wait in line.  Just some of the ones that came here, Katrina, George, Fredrick, and Camile.  I think the attitude of people isn't like it used to be though. So you may have to defend yourself.  I do have a few rifles, shot guns, pistols, ammo, bow and arrows, and a crossbow.  I have dropped a deer running at 200 yard with a rifle, and 47 steps with a bow.

Joe

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:42 am »
Anybody ever see the movie "the year zero?  I think that is what it is called.  I think it is on you tube.  What I don't know is if I am the only one who will watch a black and white movie.
Cheers
gww

I think you mean PANIC IN YEAR ZERO - with Ray Milan - excellent movie just a few yeara after then A-Bomb left entire generations learning duck and cover.  I liked his cool head and Frankie Avalon (playing the son) a bit rebellious but wanting to learn how to survive the threat of Beatniks and everyone running from dlowing cities - great film.