Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How I Extracted Honey Without an Extractor.  (Read 2680 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
How I Extracted Honey Without an Extractor.
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:46:47 am »
Being this is my first year to have honey and no extractor, this is what I did. I obtained food grade buckets.  Using the top bar of a wood frame, I laid it across the top off the bucket centered,  Mark the spot on the top of the frame on each side where it meets the bucket. Using a multi-function cutting tool, I cut a notch in each side of the wood frame as marked. This creates a slots in the wood frame that perfectly fits the top of the bucket.  The frame will not slip or slide, thus creating a very stable situation. Next remove the bar and mark the very center between the notches, (the bar). There in the center of the bar, (center of the notches) I place a stainless steel screw. This screw is placed where the  point is coming up, out of the bucket, leaving the screw head on the down side. affording the screw  being the very center of the opening of the bucket, as well as the center of the top bar. Make sure the screw point is just slightly penetrated through this bar.  You are all set to extract your honey!  You will need a plastic cooking dip spoon the big Bubba type. 😊.  Simply place the end of your top bar resting on the top of the screw. Using on hand to hold the frame of honey, use the other to gently scrape the comb, as if your are trying to decap the comb. The capping  along with honey will begin to glide down into your bucket! Continue until the one side is completely void of all caping, and honey all the way down to the foundation, with your frame hand simply rotate the frame around, pivoting on the screw. Repeat the the process on this other side of your frame. You will end up with a frame of clean foundation.  Let all extracted honey and comb combination sit for 24!hours. All wax will rise to the top leaving PURE honey on the bottom. Using another clean bucket and (I used a plastic dipper, mate to the original scraper). With a stainless steel Spagetti screen type strainer, Dip the wax off the top and place in the strainer. Immediately the excess honey will begin streaming into the second bucket. Let set for 24 hours and you will be surprised as to how dry the wax and capping become! Along with how much clean untouched by human hand honey will accumulate in this second bucket. Also instead of placing the (empty frames of extracted honey) back in boxes for the bees, I placed these into a third clean bucket vertically stacked closely together.  Again you will be surprised as to how much more honey will accumulate in this third bucket, and how clean and pure. This makes little mess and lots of untouched by human hands honey!! I used this process using more buckets and strainers collecting almost 200 pounds this first year! Good luck and have fun!
Phillip Hall

One more thing after all is drained, then place empty frames into your suppers the bee will clean them up! After they are cleaned place back in the hives and rhe bees will immediately begin to draw out the foundations once again if there is a flow on!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:46:08 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: How I Extracted Honey Without an Extractor.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »
Thanks for an excellent post, Phillip.  Will definitely use that method ...

Next year.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:36:35 pm »
Thanks for an excellent post, Phillip.  Will definitely use that method ...

Next year.

You are very welcome. I must give credit to Don The Fat Bee Man. He is the one who made me aware of this method on his YouTube channel.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:51:43 pm »
How about a couple of pictures of this.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 07:04:27 pm »
How about a couple of pictures of this.
Jim Altmiller

I will be happy to Jim. I did not take pictures until I was finished however, I did post the finished frames and the beautiful foundation which was left behind.  Foundationless, foundation at that. I had posted those pictures on a topic discussing fishing line as a foundationless support for new drawn out wax and how the bees incorporate the new wax around the line. I will look for my fixed up frame bar showing the notches along with the pivot, anti- lip screw and a picture showing how well it fits on the bucket.
Phillip

PS I hope to graduate from this and move on to an 18 frame extractor such as you have, if my bees survive the winter and prosper next season.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:54:19 pm »
Want be long living in Mississippi u will have to sling😄

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
Want be long living in Mississippi u will have to sling😄

Thanks Mikey, I hope so!!

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »
I crushed first years, and melted comb. After crush, came out with beautiful yellow wax.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:30:26 pm »
That is what I was looking at until I happened up on this method. The old crush and strain has served well for many folks through the years. Mikey, I am planning on venturing out a little further this coming season. I have the idea of ordering a bunch of rite-cell. I am thinking that it should serve me well.  Do you now use rite-cell?
Phillip

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:42 am »
If you don't have a use for wax then crush and strain nets you less honey.  This is why commercial operators use extractors.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline apicultor

• Brood
  • Beekeeping supplies
    • https://www.latiendadelapicultor.com
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 12:36:41 pm »
Another option is produce comb honey. I mean you have to put in your supers this kind of frames in comb sections. So just let the bees fill in the round rings with honey. Once they are capped, remove the sections, add the covers and a label. Then you never need an extractor though!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 09:06:49 am »
Another option is produce comb honey. I mean you have to put in your supers this kind of frames in comb sections. So just let the bees fill in the round rings with honey. Once they are capped, remove the sections, add the covers and a label. Then you never need an extractor though!
Nobody "needs" an extractor.  By the same line of thinking you could get a flow hive in theory.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »
Ben. Good job. The exact way I plan to do this next fall if my bees winter their first year.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 10:42:28 pm »
Ben. Good job. The exact way I plan to do this next fall if my bees winter their first year.

Worked great for me Bob. But I do plan to have an extractor next season. Jim has a 9/18 that has my interest.

anything