Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, new from Georgia  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Bee Dawg

• Brood
Hello, new from Georgia
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:49:35 am »
Excited to be a part of this great forum.  I've been lurking a few weeks.  Lots of great information and advise.  I've always lived in Georgia.  Growing up in the north Georgia mountains, my dad had bees.  I now live in LaGrange, GA, although my bees will be on property just across the state line in Alabama.  I am currently learning anything and everything about bees before mine arrive in April.  Can't wait!!!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hello, new from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:49 pm »
Welcome.   :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:20:48 pm »
Hey Bee Dawg, Welcome! and warning; If you take a hive back over the Ga line and then decide you want to bring it back to Alabama you can't, it's against the law. The only legal way to get your bees back over to Alabama is to basically create a package with them. Alabama has a no comb law and no comb can come across state lines. I'm sure there's exceptions to this like the bees on back of a flatbed.

Make yourself at home and ask as many questions as you'd like.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:33:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  Lots of great people here.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:33:29 am »
Thats interesting GSF and I am sure the law was put in place for a reason but with someone living right on the state line and in the course of their daily lives crossing back and forth that seems like it would be mightily restrictive.

Oh and welcome to the forum Bee Dawg!!
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:45:22 am »
I live within a couple of miles of the FL GA boarder. The previous owner, a retired NCIS agent used to work the border check point. I still hear stories from the local farmers that he made them stop and inspected them every time they went back and forth. They were really frustrated and constantly complaining to his bosses.
He is fully retired now.
I do not think they are real tight about it now.
If you have a boarder check point, I recommend you stop in and get to know the agents and see what they will tolerate.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:24 pm »
I'm guessing the law was probably written in the hay day of the foulbrood diseases.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything