Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut out advice sought  (Read 1372 times)

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
Cut out advice sought
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:56 pm »
A buddy and I removed a medium/small hive out of a house that has stood vacant for years but is now being refurbished.  we really only had one problem, but it is a tough one.

What is the best way to secure a slab of brood onto a empty frame such that it is securely fastened?  Most of ours just eventually fell out of the frames, even though bailing wired in.

I am betting I get more calls for this, and would like a better answer.

Thanks,
Barry

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Cut out advice sought
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 04:25:13 pm »
I have used rubber bands for years.  I use a small stick under the brood and twist the band with a twig to hold the brood near the top of frame most of the time the bees attach the comb to the frame top.    I have used a twig on each side of the frame secured with rubber bands to hold a crooked comb in place.  Just use Shade Tree engineering and let the bees do their thing. I usually over engineer, let the master comb builders do their thing.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:35:45 pm »
Had not even considered rubber bands.  I was thinking maybe zip ties, but rubber bands would be more gentle.

Thanks!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 04:54:07 pm »
I use 1/4 in. wide rubber bands that are small enough to be tight and hold the comb without further stretching. I use 3 vertically and 1 or 2 horizontally on each piece of comb. That's 5 bands on one full frame comb and 8 on 2 combs in one frame.. I have never had one to fallout
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:52:35 pm »
Had not even considered rubber bands.  I was thinking maybe zip ties, but rubber bands would be more gentle.

Thanks!
Just bought a bag of size 33 at Office Depot they fit both ways perfect - I put a few around my wrist and hold the brood in place
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:29:12 am »

Thanks!
Just bought a bag of size 33 at Office Depot they fit both ways perfect - I put a few around my wrist and hold the brood in place

The 64s work good too. You can also place the bands on the ends of the frames, already stretched and ready to go before hand. That way you can easily move the band in place with one hand when you need it.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
I also use rubber bands. I put three on each end of the frames before I start the cut out. Then you just slide them in place. I do not worry about making them touch the top bar. The bees usually fill in the space within a week.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 09:07:11 pm »
I use these, huge rubber bands #105,,,, 5 x 5/8 inch which hold the comb very well.

Eventually the bees will chew these thick bands into.  The bees have stronger bite than I ever imagined.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 11:35:00 pm »
I also use rubber bands. I put three on each end of the frames before I start the cut out. Then you just slide them in place. I do not worry about making them touch the top bar. The bees usually fill in the space within a week.
Jim Altmiller

Yes same here Jim, except sometimes I have found the need to use four if the comb is such that I have to use two pieces of comb, in one frame, in order to (fill the frame from side to side).  I have experimented and tried the X pattern but went back to the original method. With 64s I have never had a comb fall out either as per iddee but his way is much safer for sure!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything