Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Removal from Plastic Frames/Foundation - No extractor  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Wayne Miles

• New Bee
Honey Removal from Plastic Frames/Foundation - No extractor
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:33:30 pm »
Is there  a 'simple' method for Honey removal  from Plastic Frames/Foundation without the use of an extractor ?  If possible, I would like to do this without destroying much of the drawn comb.

If there isn't a way to do this, should I leave the super on the hive over winter ?  I only plan to remove one medium super of honey, there will still be another medium left on the hive, plus several frames of honey on the bottom deep, my understanding is that this will be more than sufficient to feed over winter, here in Orange County NC.

Thanks for your help

Wayne Miles

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 03:03:06 pm »
There's a two frame extractor on ebay right now that you might be able to get cheap.  Looks rough but it's what's inside that counts.

See if this link works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beekeeping-2-frame-extractor_W0QQitemZ7556129815QQcategoryZ46527QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:10:04 am »
Wax foundation or starter strips would have been a better choice.  Then you could either make cut comb or crush and strain.  You can still scrape the comb off of the foundation and drain it though.

http://bwrangler.atspace.com/bee/thar.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:15:57 pm »
If you're planning to medicate, then any honey supers for human consumption cannot be left on the hive! Take off any supers you plan to extract by any means, and then medicate. If you don't plan to use medication, yes, you can leave them on.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

anything