Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EX MACHINA  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
EX MACHINA
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:25 pm »
Don't ask me how to pronounce it, but this is a good flick about artificial intelligence.  A coder working for a giant tech company "wins" a week at the owner's retreat, where he's asked to judge whether a "woman" built by the powerful owner meets the definitions of AI.  Nothing is as it seems and the plot gets very thick.

Gorgeous Norwegian scenery.  Good acting. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: EX MACHINA
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:21:41 pm »
Looked for it....not at Redbox yet. July 14
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 01:50:16 am »
Yeah, I saw it at the theater.  Wait about six weeks.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 12:01:21 am »
It is at redbox now. Not bad....on the sc-bee scale I give it a 7. Liked it a lot better than Lucy. Somehow though a little action would have been better. Maybe at the end. I could have figured some action there in the end that I think would have went along with the other developments.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:28:34 am »
Agreed, but Lucy and Ex Machina are far apart in concept.  If artificial intelligence (AI) is developed to the point where a human can't tell if a machine is or is not human, will the AI being have the purity envisioned by Isaac Assimov, or will it have the mixture of good and evil possessed by its creators?  Ex Machina seems to be saying the creator is cold-hearted and inherently evil and therefore the AI being mirrors its creator.  The actress shows very flat affect in Ex Machina, but we've seen her in other roles where her abilities are better shown.  Of course, it took a lot of ability to have the flat affect of her character in Ex Machina.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 03:16:11 pm »
And later "Her" came to mind.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 05:05:58 pm »
I was so bored by "Her" that I just quit watching.  Kinda like an old girlfriend from long ago.

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:11:59 pm »
I was disappointed because I thought it was the latest in the Appleseed Ex Machina series.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=appleseed+ex+machina

Cause I'm a big kid at heart and love cartoons especially the new CGI ones.
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 01:14:35 pm »
I was disappointed because I thought it was the latest in the Appleseed Ex Machina series.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=appleseed+ex+machina

Cause I'm a big kid at heart and love cartoons especially the new CGI ones.

Well, there was a lot of CG at work in Ex Machina, too.   Just not totally CGI.  Without it, we wouldn't have been able to see through the girls' bodies or inside their heads after the skin was peeled off. 

anything