Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Birdman  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Birdman
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:42 am »
Weird.  Intentionally so, but very weird.  Reminds me of Spanish movies because the supernatural is taken as natural.  I think hollywood liked it because they love things about showbiz.  Just weird.  But worth watching.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Birdman
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:57:28 pm »
Was going to watch it this weekend may start it now. Raining anyway..... Don't sound too promising but I suspected that if the Academy of #$%$#$##$ liked it  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
I didn't say it was not good.  It was just very weird.

Hollywood loves anything about showbiz.  It will always get a lot of votes if it makes them look good and noble as a "profession".

There is one hilarious scene that's worth the time watching the movie, even if you don't like the rest of it.  Language is pretty salty, so warning to those with tender ears. 

I fault the director of this film mostly for the over-the-top acting style.  Very exagerated.  Like an amateur stage play.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:31:21 pm by Dallasbeek »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »
It took me three sitting to get it watched. On the forth sitting I thought I had a ways to go and it just abruptly ended or maybe I just did not see it coming. Salty language is an understatement. I was watching it late one night and my wife came out and said what are you watching... The language is entirely over the top.

It is shot in an odd manner in parts I guess to give you a Broadway Play feel... I guess. The sound score for lack of a better word has a drum beat pretty much constant while in the Broadway Theater mode, Complete with drum rolls when something happens. In my opinion pretty cheesy.

I can see Hollywood liking it cause it was a total let down for me. Rating 4.0-5.0. It could have been a good movie for the viewer but leave it at The Academy in my Opinion. Maybe just me?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:55:55 pm by sc-bee »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:00:40 am »
Odd movie indeed. To think Michael Corleone got old and turned into this whack job.

I think they did an admirable job at sluicing between theater and reality (or their versions of either) every time you walked on or off stage, you got to feel the pancake makeup and smoke and mirrors that is Broadway . The audience sees something soooo different than those behind the scenes and if nothing else in this - I think they tried hard to both enunciate and blur the differences of those worlds and how to a once B-list actor/super hero, turned wannabee theater actor, those worlds can sometimes have the thinnest of curtains between them.

I thought the endless maze behind the stage where the drummer so seamlessly lead us from one area to another until he finally shows up in the scene himself was done well, and the scene leading onto the street too.

I too couldn't watch a ton of this style movie, but it was good to see some thinking OUT SIDE of the box of Hollywood films.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:40:31 am »

I thought the endless maze behind the stage where the drummer so seamlessly lead us from one area to another until he finally shows up in the scene himself was done well, and the scene leading onto the street too.

So that was it drummer until Birdman showed up.... told you I was lost.... still don't get it. Thought it was hugely distracting. I guess i am too simple minded  :wink: I would asked about the end but it would ruin it for those that want to see it.