Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have my first real bee mentee!!  (Read 2344 times)

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
I have my first real bee mentee!!
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:57:53 am »
I am so glad to be a mentor-I sure appreciated mine!
We have eight hives and a bee tree, and have not bought a Queen in 3 years, always leaving our bees to make their own.  We live very rurally, and I am not aware of any beekeepers within 4-5 miles, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any.  Then there's feral bees - so our bees are probably mutts by now - they are also not as nice as they used to be.  One hive is downright hot.  Our three hives in our top apiary are pretty docile, I opened them up just to say hi this evening (it was still sunny and relatively warm) and they just looked at me like Captain's Kilroy!
My mentee just got two packages of Italians, and they are so sweet and docile and calm and pretty (and no mites evident on the baseboard).  I'm thinking of buying some Italian Queens and requeening a couple of my hives.  What'ya think?
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Re: I have my first real bee mentee!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:31:57 am »
Congrats on Mentoring.

That is one of the recurring Recommendations when you start reading about Beekeeping, is to try to have a Mentor.
I fully agree with that.
I have the Owner of the Bee Farm where I bought my 3 NUC's and the head Professor of the Entomology Dept at Chiang Mai University that are just a call away.
I participate in The Fat Beeman live chat Sat from 8 to 9:30
Read all I can here on this Forum and it us a great place to be able to get questions answered plus probably the same as all of you when you started..........read all you can find and ask what you are unsure about

Thanks

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
Requeening shouldnt hurt anything.  It'd calm the hives down eventually, then also potentially get a better laying queen, thats bred for mite resistance...  right?

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:49:39 am »
Congrats on Mentoring.

That is one of the recurring Recommendations when you start reading about Beekeeping, is to try to have a Mentor.
I fully agree with that.
I have the Owner of the Bee Farm where I bought my 3 NUC's and the head Professor of the Entomology Dept at Chiang Mai University that are just a call away.
Read all I can here on this Forum and it us a great place to be able to get questions answered plus probably the same as all of you when you started..........read all you can find and ask what you are unsure about

Thanks

Bruce
  Thanks Bruce!  And now that you mention it, I might have seen you on the Fat Bee Man's channel when I've watched it a few times.     ...You do that EVERY Saturday?

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:42:47 pm »
Congrats on Mentoring.

I fully agree with that.

Thanks

Bruce
  Thanks Bruce!  And now that you mention it, I might have seen you on the Fat Bee Man's channel when I've watched it a few times.     ...You do that EVERY Saturday?

Yes for the last 3 weeks on Sat evening 8-9:30
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:36:03 pm »
It is difficult to find a mentor.  I am going to try to attend a different group's meeting next week and see if I have any luck.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:43:08 am »
I don't have a mentor, per se, but I do have 2 good go to people.
The head of the Entemology Dept at the University here does research with bees and she is going to come to my house and go through my 3 hives with me when she gets back from Japan and the Owner of Supha Beefarm where I get my bees is 69 yo and been playing with bees since she was a little girl and I can call her anytime.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:05:26 am »
This forum was my mentor, plus over at Bud's when that was going on. Thanks again to everyone who helped me, even the BEEMASTER (as in beemaster dot com)helped me.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:52:54 am »
It is difficult to find a mentor.  I am going to try to attend a different group's meeting next week and see if I have any luck.
That's a great idea!  Good luck!

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:08 am »
This forum was my mentor, plus over at Bud's when that was going on. Thanks again to everyone who helped me, even the BEEMASTER (as in beemaster dot com)helped me.

Agreed, same for me

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 12:28:12 pm »
Beemaster is still my mentor. I try to read every post and I learn something new every day.
Thanks Beemaster and everyone that adds to the info on this site.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Mech

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:22 pm »
I am an info reading junky.
Anything that interests me I read and research the heck out of it.
Having a mentor to help me on my hives would just be WOW.
I mean it's like 3 seasons and I'm just now learning to easily being able to spot my queens.
That doesn't even really touch on my need for help on pests.
You all are fortunate to have or be able to mentor some one.
Once I get this down a bit I'd love to help pass it on.
I think it's really cool to help out anther like you are doing and hopefully one day I can help.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:26 pm »
I mean it's like 3 seasons and I'm just now learning to easily being able to spot my queens.

I can only spot my queens when they have a big dot on their back!  :wink:  Lol!!!