Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New 3lb Package - 1 or 2 supers?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
New 3lb Package - 1 or 2 supers?
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
I'd like some thoughts on this. I got my 3lb package of bees about 8 days ago. I done a lot of reading and came to the conclusion that I should only use one super until they fill it up, or out. I would think the obvious sign would be the frames filling up or out toward the sides of the super. Then I'm thinking about the temps around here probably will be 90's for a while. That would suggest maybe two supers. I have a queen excluder, top board with escape, and a top covered with metal. I got a deluxe beginners kit.

As of yet I haven't checked to see if the queen is laying but I plan to do so today, tomorrow, or most likely Tuesday. Tuesday is my rotating day off and I'll have more time. Most likely I'll move the hive more in the direct sunlight to prevent (or slowdown) SHB from moving in. This will be done right at dark. I watched the shade today and I'm guessing that it only gets apx 3 hrs of direct sunlight first thing in the morning. When I placed it there I was sure it got more than that.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New 3lb Package - 1 or 2 supers?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:05:14 pm »
When the bees get the first super almost full,8 of 10 frames etc, add the next super.  I may have missed it but what size supers are you running, and how many in your brood chamber.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »
I would not worry about moving them unless you feel they are in the way.  If you move them a short distance in the yard, you will lose some of your older bees as they will go back to the old spot after foraging the next day.  The queen excluder will not be used this year nor next year unless you have honey supers with drawn comb.   And with adding another box, I wait until they have 7 or 8 frames full of bees before I drop another box on top. 

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:35 pm »

Most likely I'll move the hive more in the direct sunlight to prevent (or slowdown) SHB from moving in. This will be done right at dark. I watched the shade today and I'm guessing that it only gets apx 3 hrs of direct sunlight first thing in the morning. When I placed it there I was sure it got more than that.
The package should have been started where the location will be permanent for the hive. You will need to move them asap before all of the bees become oriented to that old spot. If you put grass in the opening after you move it they will be forced to reorient to that location.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:17 pm »
70 % rule drawn and add a super.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:38:52 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong. This is my thinking - I was going to move them at night so all the bees would be in there. I thought once they left any location that morning they would be able to find it since it was their starting point for the day.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:44:10 pm »
When they orient to a spot, they lock in & will go right back to that spot the next day, even if you moved them at night. They remember.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:33 pm »

Most likely I'll move the hive more in the direct sunlight to prevent (or slowdown) SHB from moving in. This will be done right at dark. I watched the shade today and I'm guessing that it only gets apx 3 hrs of direct sunlight first thing in the morning. When I placed it there I was sure it got more than that.
The package should have been started where the location will be permanent for the hive. You will need to move them asap before all of the bees become oriented to that old spot. If you put grass in the opening after you move it they will be forced to reorient to that location.

Also lay some branches with leaves across the top of the hive..... force them to re-orient.
John 3:16

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:03 am »
sc-bee is right. Even if you move them at night you will have to do something to force them to reorient the next day when they leave or else they will fly back to the old location.  Loosely stuff some grass or twigs in the opening that they can eventually push out of the way and that will force the foragers to reorient.

Linda D.
linda d

anything