Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Norway spruce  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Norway spruce
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:59:54 pm »
Anybody know what honeybees forage on a Norway Spruce?

I have several very large ones right behind my beehives, and I noticed a buzzing on one of them, and I thought it was a swarm set up camp.  But no, there were hundreds of bees flying all over the tree. They were searching and spending only brief periods of time on each branch, and they were not chewing. 

I thought perhaps propolis, but not only were they NOT chewing, there were other types of bees such as bumbles on it as well collecting something.  They weren't collecting pollen, either.

I didn't notice any aphids.

Any ideas or hypotheses?  I've not heard of spruce secreting anything except resinous sap.

Rick
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Norway spruce
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »
Duh...search!

http://tinyurl.com/lkrpvm

Interesting, nonetheless....
Rick

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »
neat book too
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:18:25 am »
Anybody know what honeybees forage on a Norway Spruce?

I have several very large ones right behind my beehives, and I noticed a buzzing on one of them, and I thought it was a swarm set up camp.  But no, there were hundreds of bees flying all over the tree. They were searching and spending only brief periods of time on each branch, and they were not chewing. 

I thought perhaps propolis, but not only were they NOT chewing, there were other types of bees such as bumbles on it as well collecting something.  They weren't collecting pollen, either.

I didn't notice any aphids.

Any ideas or hypotheses?  I've not heard of spruce secreting anything except resinous sap.

Rick

Tree sap is a source for propolis.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!