Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: inspected today ? about adding a super  (Read 1197 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
inspected today ? about adding a super
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:10:13 pm »
These are all foundationless frames

Hive #1 is almost ready for another box they are capping honey, but 2 frames on one side have no comb at all, the rest of frames in same box have comb and they are filling with honey, should I just leave those empty frames there?

Hive #2 had a small amount of cross comb I removed the cross comb and put that frame between two good frames was this ok to do?
Lori

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: inspected today ? about adding a super
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »
They sometimes like to leave the outside frames.  You can exchange places with them and another frame and the may finish them also.  On the one with cross comb I try to bend it back in the right direction or you can cut and tie.  sounds like you are doing fine.  Good luck with your bees, Lori.

Joe

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: inspected today ? about adding a super
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:16 am »
Agreed; you are OK.  I also use foundationless frames and in Northwestern Wisconsin my bees are currently hitting the goldenrod 'big' time.  It seems a bit early compared to past years in that they 'usually' don't begin on goldenrod until the thistles are done and there are lots of those around still.  Not certain where you are in Minnesota but adding honey supers may NOT be the best choice this time in the season as your bees prep for winter and will need all they collect from this point IMO.  

My bees are bringing in an abundance of pollen right now and according to some it may indicate an exceptionally severe winter ahead.  So it goes.

Exchanging empty frames from the outside with full frames from the inside is good advise.  Bees don't like empty spaces so will quickly make more comb to accomadate..OR..wil just expand those partially filled frames with even more honey.  

Both scenerios are possible.

August is the month I stop 'taking' honey and begin reducing space for winter preparation...but that's just me.  Others continue to take honey right along until winter wrap up and then suppliment w/ syrup.  That works but can also result in dysentary by Spring.  Good luck.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything