Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burrowing bees in lockhart nsw  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Burkyjr

• Brood
Burrowing bees in lockhart nsw
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:16:04 pm »
Hi all.
I want sure If it was of any interest but I have an enormous *hive?* of burrowing bees in my yard in the riverina area.
I tried to do some research on them and only found that they couldn't survive where I live due to the extreme cold in winter.
But I assure you all that the thousands and thousands of holes that popped up and the little bees walking in and out of them when I water a new section of lawn seed I have planted would say otherwise. Lol

Any information I could get on them would be great.
And if it interest anyone I could try to post pics. I'm sorry to say this but I am tipping hundreds of them out of the dogs bowls each arvo so I can get close ups.
Anyway I look forward to learning more about them if anyone is keen to share.

Burky.
Brookdale, lockhart nsw

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Burrowing bees in lockhart nsw
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:32:58 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Our burrowing bees are yellow jackets. A very mean and nasty bee. If we get a hive in the yard, we destroy it. Unfortunately we usually find out we have one when someone walks near it and is stung 20 times or more.
Hopefully someone from NSW will answer up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
Jim
Bit unfair on bees to call Yellow Jackets bees. They are wasps and no relation.

Offline Burkyjr

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:21:58 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Our burrowing bees are yellow jackets. A very mean and nasty bee. If we get a hive in the yard, we destroy it. Unfortunately we usually find out we have one when someone walks near it and is stung 20 times or more.
Hopefully someone from NSW will answer up.
Jim

I've seen videos of those yellow jackets. Nasty things for sure.

I'm just wondering if it's normal for the bees to live where we do mainly. It is spring but was around -2'c this morning.
Burky

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 03:49:09 pm »
I remember being fascinated by little bees burrowing into the pile of brick sand at one of the houses I lived in as a kid in Victoria they certainly didn?t die from the frequent frosts we had

This site https://www.aussiebee.com.au/beesinyourarea.html#yellowandblackcarpenterbees indicates that you could have a semi-social colony of Homalictus Bees.

What?s at your place may not match the image, but with 40+ Species it could well be one of them.

anything