Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The things I do during the off season  (Read 2296 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
The things I do during the off season
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:33:05 pm »
Will it's that time of year when we can't work the bees so Now what?

Will I have a few projects going and I thought I would show everyone how I do It.

First It's candle making time.

I have found some good ways of getting the job done and wanted to know what everyone thought about it ?

I made these frames from the wire reels that you get from MiG welders. I cut the outside ring off and welded brazing rods between the two ends. that gives me spacing for up to 6 sets of candles if I also use the inside spacing.

I use the westinghouse broiler to process old wax and wax from bee removals then further process it and bleach it in the solar melter. I am building a bigger melter and will post about it later.

This is a old coffee peculator that I got from a used restaurant suppler. I had to remove the thermo  sensors to get the wax hot enough to melt. I use thermometer to check the temp. I can dip 12 inch candles with it..

The finished product. not bad. I think It took about 3 to six  Rolling rock longnecks till the finished product.  :cheer:

Now just for kicks I'll show you what else I have been doing.

I got about 1000 pieces of 1 1/2 by 1 5/8s by 8 foot hardwood from a store that was closing  It is the wood used to make hollow core doors with. they used it to keep mattress's off the floors. I glue them up in 12 inch wide units then run them Thur a portable planner then glue two units together  to get a 25 inch wide surface then sand down the center line to match.  Not bad for something to do on the weekends. ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: The things I do during the off season
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »
I just love those candles and wish I had enough wax to do something like that. Scott from Florida(Hardwood) makes candles like that as well and had a really nice video on how to do this.

Guess I will just stick with my cosmetics.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:48:03 pm »
OK. here is a couple of other items that I am making to sell for Christmas gifts.

What do you think of them.

The cutting board with a set of candles and jar of honey as a gift idea.

the cutting boards are treated with vegetable oil.

These are the candles cut from the rigs I made.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:09 am »
Nice work!

Are you doing any more work with (wind) generators this winter, or do you have all the power you need?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:50 pm »
Nice work!

Are you doing any more work with (wind) generators this winter, or do you have all the power you need?

Yea I still make a few when I get a call to build a motor. times are tight. I am in the middle of building a electric trike that hopefully will have a top speed of 60-80 mph and a range of 100-125 miles. I waiting on parts for the alloy frame.( money and time are my enemies.) I did get a new set of batteries for my bank. the old ones finally died. the ones I got now are 8 6volt forklift batteries with 345 amh each.

john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »
Nice job!

Make some videos of you in action.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:25:03 am »
Yea I still make a few when I get a call to build a motor. times are tight. I am in the middle of building a electric trike that hopefully will have a top speed of 60-80 mph and a range of 100-125 miles. I waiting on parts for the alloy frame.( money and time are my enemies.) I did get a new set of batteries for my bank. the old ones finally died. the ones I got now are 8 6volt forklift batteries with 345 amh each.

john
VERY interesting!  So the trike is going to be electric drive?  Are you using PM DC motors or an induction motor?  What are you thinking of making the chassis out of?  To get high HW mileage it would be best to be as aerodynamic as feasible.  Fiberglass?      

I started working on a velomobile last winter (with electric assist), but the project got put on hold as spring arrived and all my spring jobs ate up my spare time.  You're starting a big project!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:01:26 am by BlueBee »

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »
VERY interesting!  So the trike is going to be electric drive?  Are you using PM DC motors or an induction motor?  What are you thinking of making the chassis out of?  To get high HW mileage it would be best to be as aerodynamic as feasible.  Fiberglass?      

I started working on a velomobile last winter (with electric assist), but the project got put on hold as spring arrived and all my spring jobs ate up my spare time.  You're starting a big project!
[/quote]

The design I came up with is a tear drop shape fiberglass. the frame will be based on a low ride wheel chair design with the drivers seat just above the axle height. to give a low center of gravity. between the drive wheels. the motor is a high output DC motor 2.3 hp.. the speed and range is increased using a gearing setup that is base on the gearing of a twelve speed bike. but using bigger gage chain and drives with the free wheeling of the rear wheels thus allowing to reduce or stop output and freewheel on grades and the ability to coast. this will add about 15  to 30 percent increase in range without speed loss. the gearing allows for reduction of output with more momentum thus increasing range again about 10-20 percent. this is all on paper and not proved but can be realistic. I did make one on a ten speed years ago that got me up to 50 mph using a 12 volt system. got about 30mile range on the battery using the same principles. I'll post pics as I build it.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »
Nice job!

Make some videos of you in action.

...JP

JP I am hoping to make a few when I can get a good video camera. but have a few other things ahead on the list right now. but I'm hoping. the peculator works great but have found that I needed to change the gauge wire on the cord. to small for the repeated on and off cycles to keep the temp right. I have run out of wax right now but now have a order for a very large cutting board for a competition BBQ'er  I' will post pics of it this weekend. Stay tuned. ;)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:00 am »
Your trike sounds similar to what I have on paper, metal, and foam.  Yes, I use foam in my trikes too :)  It’s the core of a fiberglass body, common in the European velomobiles.  Adds strength and warm for my climate.  My version is more geared toward winter exercise in the frozen North.  It will have PM DC motor boost, but not intended for full time use.   I haven’t completely worked on the drive system yet, but was examining the options for higher voltage; 24VDC.

I like to bicycle in the summer to relax from the daily grind and have some time to just think.  It’s just too darn cold up here to do that between the months of Nov and April.  Maybe once I get all my bee design work done for next year and get a few other projects done, I can get back to the velomobile.  My schedule doesn't look real promising right now. :(  In the mean time I can’t wait to watch your progress. :)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:03:07 pm »
I have gotten my hands on 3 sets of rings and rods to make three dipping frames. Is anyone interested in them let me know with a e-mail and we can talk about them?  I can send them to you un assembled and then you can have a freind tack weld them together.

John

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:30:23 am »
John, it has been lovely seeing all the beautiful things you have been making.  I don't know how you find the time, but you must work hard.  Please keep showing us your latest projects.

Lone

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »
Really neat stuff.

Wish I had time to put some of my ideas to use.

Maybe in four years when I retire. :)

Keep it up and let us know what all you got going.

Thanks again.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

anything