Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Safety harness  (Read 3086 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Safety harness
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:35 am »
After reading Schawee's post, I was wondering what type of safety harnesses you'll have.
I am thinking of picking a pair up for those more scary jobs. Usually I'll just leave it to other beeks to remove but
having it available would be nice just incase.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Safety harness
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:11 am »
My safety harness (and I rely on it heavily) is Peggy waiting on the ground to spring into action anytime she hears the words "OH SHiiiiiiiiii....)!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »
 :pop:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »
After reading Schawee's post, I was wondering what type of safety harnesses you'll have.
I am thinking of picking a pair up for those more scary jobs. Usually I'll just leave it to other beeks to remove but
having it available would be nice just incase.

I had 19 years of removing bat colonies from homes, I used a full harness with a D-ring on the front middle of my chest.  Most come with the D-ring in the back but I liked the front better.   A 3/4" 3 strand nylon rope.  one of the best things I ever bought was a 5 ft shock cord with a double locking clip and ROPE GRAB.   The rope grab allows you to go up ladders or over roofs with easy but is cam operated to stop a fall instantly.  To go down takes a squeeze of the grab and it slides easily.  To get the rope over the building I used a fishing Bow or a fishing pole.  I dont think it is overkill.  Doesn't matter how young you think you are the ground is still hard.  I had a friend fall about 10 years ago.  First time for him after many years of NOT BOTHERING with the safety stuff. It was also his last.   Another friend went down last year and got luck and only broke ribs, a wrist and a arm.  I fell 6 years ago off a 6ft step ladder.  You know the sign on the top of one that reads "this is not a step" Well I couldn't read that because I was standing on it.  6 Ft almost on my head onto a sidewalk but my hand broke my fall and also broke the hand in 2 places.  That was a crappy summer with a cast to my elbow

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »
Scott - hope Peggy is quick!  :-D  How many more trips up the ladder for those two trapouts? Maybe a harness should be safer.  ;)

JP - I was thinking Emil would need something but the monkey dude doesn't seem to need any. He scaled that tree like it was a walk in the park!

Danno - any recommendation on where to buy and which ones? I looked at Lowes and Home Depot. They have kits but not sure if they are any good.
Probably good enough for what I would use it for. $100 for harness kit at homedepot and lowes.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
For a true harness try Airgas or Oilind Safety falling hurts its the number one killer in industry

Keith

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:16 pm »
A safety harness is like seat belt and helmets.   I didn't use to use them unless I was doing really crazy stuff.   Now with age.............  Yes I used my seat belt today and wore my helmet Saturday.  (but not Friday night  :evil: )  At least my 4 year old has learned these lessons early.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:36 am »
Scott - hope Peggy is quick!  :-D  How many more trips up the ladder for those two trapouts? Maybe a harness should be safer.  ;)

JP - I was thinking Emil would need something but the monkey dude doesn't seem to need any. He scaled that tree like it was a walk in the park!

Danno - any recommendation on where to buy and which ones? I looked at Lowes and Home Depot. They have kits but not sure if they are any good.
Probably good enough for what I would use it for. $100 for harness kit at homedepot and lowes.

I picked mine up so many years ago that I dont remember where I got it at.  This is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about.  http://www.millerfallprotection.com/market-applications/wind-energy/rope-grabs-and-vertical-lifelines    As I stated I have a D-ring on the front but most are on the back. Not sur what they have at home depot.  Most likely will be just fine.  They wouldn't cheapen something like this up.