Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watery honey  (Read 8204 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Watery honey
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:05 pm »
I did a harvest yesterday and got about 100 pounds of wildflower honey.  Good stuff...dark as molasses and seems to have some blackberry honey in it also.  When I robbed the hives, the comb was about 98% capped over.  Now, I am not 100% certain if it's due to the humidity and heat that we had yesterday, but the honey seems to be a lot more runny than I have seen in the past.  Aside from it being runny, it seems normal.  Do different nectar types produce honeys of various consistencies?  I've never taken notice before since it all seemed to be about the same consistency each time.  Maybe I will fill a jar and put it in the refrigerator for a short time and see what it does.

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Watery honey
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »
I would agree that the heat has a lot to do with it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »
Send a case of jars over this way and we'll test it out for you, just to make sure!  By the way it is hot here too.

Dennis

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:00:44 pm »
Send a case of jars over this way and we'll test it out for you, just to make sure!

Sweet!  That'll be $84.00 plus S&H and I'll have it out tomorrow   :-D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:06 pm »
Bassman:  Two questions: (1) How do you know that there is blackberry honey in there?  Is it distinctive?  The reason I ask is that I have a blackerberry bramble right next to my hives that we grow.  I will not get any of it this year since my bees are simply building their brood nests and winter stores. (2) How did you harvest the honey?  Did you use a triangle escape, a blower, a chemical or another method.  I am quite interested in how everyone takes honey.  I said only two questions, but a third just occurred to me: Why now for the harvest?  Do you take honey frame by frame or super by super?  The books do not seem to give me a good idea on when to harvest.  I am not sure if theis is a process or an event.
Brian

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:27 pm »
Honey that doesn't ferment needs to be only 18% water.  The only way to tell for sure is to use a refractometer.  But my honey, while it will flow easily through a filter when it is warm, still has a thick consistency, whether it is dark or light honey.

I'm not Bassman but since you said you wanted to know in general:

How did you harvest the honey? Did you use a triangle escape, a blower, a chemical or another method.
I harvest honey using a Michael Bush approach.  I take off the super that I am going to harvest and set it beside the hive.  I have near the hive another empty super sitting on a sheet large enough both for the super to sit on and to throw over the super as I fill it with frames to harvest.  I don't use any of the things you mentioned.  I take one frame and shake it hard in front of the hive to send the bees back home.  I use my bee brush to brush the rest off.  I put the now bee-free frame into the super on the sheet and cover the whole thing up.  I repeat this with each frame in the super.  Then I take the filled super inside and do whatever harvest method I am planning for that super:  crush and strain, chunk or cut comb.

Why now for the harvest?
  When the frames in a super are almost all close to 100% capped, it's time to harvest.  So one week one super might be ready.   Another week several supers may be ready.  If I want to do cut comb honey, I take it off as soon as the super is capped so that the comb stays white and soft.  If I am doing crush and strain, I harvest when I have a free weekend.

Do you take honey frame by frame or super by super?

Both - when the super is ready (almost 100% capped) I take the super off and remove the frames one at a time.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:44:06 pm »
(1) How do you know that there is blackberry honey in there?  Is it distinctive?

We have tons of wild blackberries on my property (and in the area).  They are about done with the bloom.  Yes, it is distinctive.  Unfortunately, there's so much more going on during the flow, that it's all combined, but I can still taste the blackberry in the honey. 

How did you harvest the honey?

I have an extractor.

Did you use a triangle escape, a blower, a chemical or another method.

A combination of some of the above.  I initially use honey robber and fume board.  I keep it on for a short amount of time (about 5 minutes), just long enough to force the majority of the bees into the lower chambers that I won't be pulling from.  After that, I put the inner cover underneath the boxes to be taken and put a bee escape in the oval hole.  I then leave them alone until the next day.  When the next day comes, most of the bees will be in the part of the hive which won't be extracted.  I'll take the boxes off, load them into my jeep and haul them to the house.  Before I go into the house, I inspect each frame for stragglers (my wife doesn't want my female honey makers in the house  ;) ).

Once I get a bunch more hives, I'll probably use a blower, but I want to know more of the effects on using that method.  I.E., will the bees be so disoriented that they will go into whatever hive they can get to first, or no effects, or go back into their own hive.  I expect no effects, but I want to be sure.  Besides that...I bet they are a lot more prone to stinging.

Why now for the harvest?  Do you take honey frame by frame or super by super?  The books do not seem to give me a good idea on when to harvest.

This was my second harvest of the year actually.  I try to collect distinct types of honey.  The last flow was heavy with dandelion.  The honey was obviously dandelion.  Tasted like dandelion, bright yellow like dandelion.  It was the best honey I've had this year, IMO.  Another reason for my timing is, I just don't have that many honey supers built up (I'm working on that...well...my girls are).  This particular time my boxes were completely full.  Clover is starting to come out so I wanted to make sure they had plenty of room for the clover.  After the clover, I suspect there will be a dearth for a few weeks, followed by another wildflower flow of some sort, then the big goldenrod flow (which I get so much goldenrod that the bees will pack the entire hive with it.  I never have to feed an established hive before winter (at least I haven't yet) and I still get a ton of it to sell.

Anyway, back to your questions....I will typically harvest super by super since I use an extractor.  I'm not going to dirty up that thing for a few frames.  I will however check all of the partially full supers for frames that are capped over and take them in the mean time though. Might as well get what I can since I have the extractor out.

The books do not seem to give me a good idea on when to harvest.

I hope that gives you an idea.   :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:13:37 am »
Thank you to both of you, it has helped a great deal.  I am strictly a hobbiest so I am lookinng for the best way to harvest (assuming I am so lucky) for a small time operator.  I kind of like the idea of harvesting often as it will require me to become a botanist of sosrts so that I know hat plants have contributed to the hives' honey.
Brian

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:07 am »

This is exactly what the problem was.  I put a jar of the honey in the refrigerator for about an hour and then let it get back to room temperature.  The honey is considerably thicker now.  Happy days are here again  :-D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:15:27 am »

This is exactly what the problem was.  I put a jar of the honey in the refrigerator for about an hour and then let it get back to room temperature.  The honey is considerably thicker now.  Happy days are here again  :-D

The combs from some of my removals lately have had some very liquidy honey because of the intense heat.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:01 pm »
I figured that it would thicken up a lot faster but it is still warm in the house.  It was 80 inside when I did the extraction.  When I did the dandelion it was in the low 70s inside.  Makes a big difference I guess.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »
using that method.  I.E., will the bees be so disoriented that they will go into whatever hive they can get to first, or no effects, or go back into their own hive.  I expect no effects, but I want to be sure.  Besides that...I bet they are a lot more prone to stinging.

I don't have a problem with it, and they seem disoriented but not more prone to sting.  I don't care what hive they go into as long as they are going to be useful  :)
Rick

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »
I don't care what hive they go into as long as they are going to be useful

Valid point. Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')