Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame-wire spool-holder designs  (Read 2806 times)

Offline tyb

• New Bee
Frame-wire spool-holder designs
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:47:33 pm »
I'm looking for the simplest, most effective spool-holder for frame-wire. I've experimented with some different designs but still haven't found what I want. I'm wondering if someone here has invented something that's an improvement on the usual 2 upright pieces of wood attached to the wiring board with the spool rotating on a bolt through the tops. Different methods of preventing the wire 'birdsnesting' would also be of interest. With photos if possible.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Frame-wire spool-holder designs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »
In the bee books I've read they show as you say two sticks with a bolt, in addition they have a hinged board with a spring, [spring keeps tension on board] at the rear of the spool, the board rides the wire on the spool, keeping it from snarling !

/o------wire going to frame
board & spring   reel of wire

Kinda, Rocket Scientist material

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Frame-wire spool-holder designs
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:02:49 am »
I use two upright pieces of 1x6 lumber on a plywood base and a threaded rod axle so you can adjust tension on the spool. I take a stiff nylon bristle scrub brush and screw it to the plywood so that the bristles are sticking up against the wire on the spool. No birds nests, self adjusting, simple! The brushes I plunder from my wifes cleaning equipment are just the right width for the large spools (2-2 1/2" wide).

anything