Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: adding a full super?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: adding a full super?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 05:12:11 am »
I can see how this wintering method is more beneficial to the hives.  If one queen is dead then the other one will
take over.   If you want to make an early Spring split then the other over wintered queen is quite useful that early.  I also got the
idea of putting 2 nucs together side-by-side with 2 queens to collect more honey.   It is better than running a single nuc hive like
this season's little bee experiment.    They do survive and removing the mite cap brood frames to another hive is much easier.  Since I have the most
gentle bees now I can use a screen divider between the 2 bottom nuc hives and then super up.   This way I don't have to worry about the
mites that much esp. during early Spring hive expansion time.   I'm simply rearranging the hives for better mite management (IPM) and hive population build
up since I don't treat.   

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 06:38:21 am »
I don`t see as this having an effect on the mites.
keep on eye on them. treat if they need it.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 03:59:02 pm »
I have been using the IPM method to remove the cap brood frames with mites in the
cells.  So no need to treat any of my hives. If you see a high mite count on each
new bees hatch cycle then you can remove the cap broods.  This will help with honey collection and hives expansion.  A very simple process to do without needing to chemical treat the bees.   The best part is I can do it at any time of the seasons in a mild winter environment here.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 07:44:08 pm »
BEEPRO,  question?  After you remove a capped frame, what do you do with the capped frame?

Freeze kill and reuse?
Throw away the capped frame?
Freeze frame, decap, clean with compressed air to remove larva and reuse?
Heat kill and reuse?

Main question is do you reuse the capped frame?

ALSO TO HONEYPUMP:

HoneyPump: I hope you see this text: that is a beautiful pic of the canola field.  Yes Sir, wide open field, no weeds; What does the air smell like with a blooming field of Canola?

In Montana a field of sweet clover, 6 feet in height, fills the air with a beautiful sweet aroma that is very pleasant.  Every inhale is incredible and the reason for the name SWEET CLOVER.  Such a pleasing aroma is the clover.  I can only imagine what a field of canola aroma is like.  Explain, Sir.
Blessings

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
adding a full super?
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 10:20:04 pm »
Van,  not sure what to compare the smell to as to try to describe it.  It has its own unique smell and when in bloom there is definitely no mistaking it for anything else.

The best I can describe it is .... to me, it looks like and smells like stacks of money.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:40:07 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 02:53:24 am »
Van, it is a secret.  The member who PMs me before already know what to do with the
frames of cap broods that are removed.  I don't like killing esp. small insects like the valuable bees. So I will give you full details on what I do with the cap brood frames once they are removed along with the mites inside.  My IPM method has lots of secret within a secret on using the cap broods.  PM me for a detailed version so that all your questions will be answered and some more.  Promise it would be an eye opener on how to combat the mites using such an easy method.  Who ever said that beekeeping cannot be organic will never know.   Other hives will be very clean and happy too!

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 03:04:41 am »
Van,  not sure what to compare the smell to as to try to describe it.  It has its own unique smell and when in bloom there is definitely no mistaking it for anything else.

The best I can describe it is .... to me, it looks like and smells like stacks of money. Hear that cash register sound each time a super goes on and comes off.  cha-ching ... cha-ching ... cha-ching ...

smells of the nectar, but it does have a tinge of cabbage along.