Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee question re adding boxes  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Busybee58

• New Bee
Newbee question re adding boxes
« on: March 22, 2022, 07:20:52 am »
I apologize for seeming so ignorant, but I'm a 1st timer and although I've read a LOT, and I thought I had this all figured out but now that I actually have the bees I'm very confused and questioning everything I thought I knew  :cry: Installed my first 2 nucs March 6th.  I was told not to inspect them for 3 weeks.  We're just north of Tampa, we've had good weather in the 70s and 80s with some cool nights since then.  Things are blooming.  The bees are all over my 2.5 acres, have 3 birdbaths that are always busy and I've been feeding them since the install.  This weekend will be the inspection for both hives.  One is a Langstroth (deep brood box) and the other is a long lang.  Both have 10 frames.  I understand the logic to the long lang, just add frames as needed (which is why in my mind that is a better option - I guess I'll find out!) but the other one ???  If the 10 frames in the brood box are close to being filled, then I should add another deep box?  From what I've read, giving all that extra space is hard for them to protect and could cause problems, but obviously they need more room.  I don't have a medium box, just another deep and then the shallow.  Again I apologize for this probably stupid question, but you've all been very kind so far and any help would be greatly appreciated.  My other question is I put screen bottom boards due to the intense temps we get. I pull the plastic board out regularly to see what's there, lots of small junk and some small pollen balls.  I think I saw something that looked like a mite once, but that's the only time (which is good, right).  My question is, in the long lang there is the open section that's blocked off, however the bees can get access to it.  There were about 6-7 dead bees there last time I went to feed them.  Is it necessary to remove them?  And if they're in this hive, then does that mean that there are probably dead ones in the other one as well (because bees die) is it necessary to lift the brood hive to remove possible dead bees or do the garbage bees toss them out?  I have found a couple dead bees outside this hive.  I know, so many questions, and again, thanks to whoever has the time to add some input.  thanks in advance.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Newbee question re adding boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 08:24:56 am »
Busybee58, no need to apologize for asking your good questions. I have been wearing these nice folks out with questions for almost four years lol. So far they have put up with me! lol 😂.

Yes I would add a box the your langstroth hive ASAP if it is full. In that case I would also go ahead and look for queen cells. I do not have experience with long hives. We have members here which do. I feel certain that one or more will come to your aid. Thank you for the clear description of your bees and your GOOD questions.

Phillip

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 09:22:02 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 11:19:01 am »
I apologize for seeming so ignorant, but I'm a 1st timer and although I've read a LOT, and I thought I had this all figured out but now that I actually have the bees I'm very confused and questioning everything I thought I knew  :cry:
There is absolutely no need to apologize!  The learning curve in beekeeping is extremely steep at first, and we are here to help!  :happy:

This weekend will be the inspection for both hives.  One is a Langstroth (deep brood box) and the other is a long lang.  Both have 10 frames.  I understand the logic to the long lang, just add frames as needed (which is why in my mind that is a better option - I guess I'll find out!) but the other one ???  If the 10 frames in the brood box are close to being filled, then I should add another deep box?  From what I've read, giving all that extra space is hard for them to protect and could cause problems, but obviously they need more room.  I don't have a medium box, just another deep and then the shallow.  Again I apologize for this probably stupid question, but you've all been very kind so far and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Adding space to a new hive is a balance, but if their first box is close to being filled, then they do need another one.  Another deep may seem like a lot to add at once, but as long as the first box is full of bees, they'll handle the extra space no problem.  And remember when considering how many bees are in the hive, that capped brood is very close to being more walking bees. 

My other question is I put screen bottom boards due to the intense temps we get. I pull the plastic board out regularly to see what's there, lots of small junk and some small pollen balls.  I think I saw something that looked like a mite once, but that's the only time (which is good, right). 

Random mite drop on a bottom board is not a reliable way to judge mite numbers.  Once you feel like they are built up a little, I'd recommend doing a sugar roll or alcohol wash to get a better idea of the mite situation. 

My question is, in the long lang there is the open section that's blocked off, however the bees can get access to it.  There were about 6-7 dead bees there last time I went to feed them.  Is it necessary to remove them?  And if they're in this hive, then does that mean that there are probably dead ones in the other one as well (because bees die) is it necessary to lift the brood hive to remove possible dead bees or do the garbage bees toss them out?  I have found a couple dead bees outside this hive.  I know, so many questions, and again, thanks to whoever has the time to add some input.  thanks in advance.
6-7 dead bees is basically none.  I'll see 30 or more tossed off the landing board on a warm day in winter.  The bees will clean out their dead and the rest of the hive's garbage on their own.  They may be a little bit behind since the hive is still small, and they are prioritizing other tasks right now, but a sizeable healthy hive doesn't need any help keeping the hive cleaned out. 

If you have any more questions, follow-ups, stupid worries, whatever, please do not hesitate to ask.  Beekeeping can be overwhelming at first, as it's not comparable to anything else you do in life, but that's part of what makes it so amazing!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 12:57:28 am »
I?m assuming you don?t have drawn comb. I?ll add a box when they are 7 if 10 frames full. They will have to move up and draw comb before that space is usable space. Depending on how much nectar there is you may need to give them a little syrup to help draw that out. Maybe someone from Fl can confirm if there is a good flow. Mine are drawing comb in NC pretty good right now off natural forage nectar, so you?re probably ok.

Pull the tray out from under the hive and put it away until you do a mite treatment and you need to seal the box up. I mean, it?s fine to leave it there, but it defeats the purpose of a screen bottom. Mine winter without it there just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 03:46:49 am »
     Busybee58,Welcome to Beemaster. Don't apologize for asking questions... In my opinion this is the only way you may be able to learn... I know it is true for me.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 01:42:12 pm »
Busybee58,
We love to answer your questions. Spring has started and the bees are beginning to buzz and we have been waiting for the questions all winter. Thank goodness our Australian friends have been keeping them coming.
Bring on your questions. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 06:35:51 pm »
When to add a super is some what difficult for a new BK.
As we don't run hive mats or covers, we tell people that when the bees start building and putting honey in the lid space. This indicates that they have run out of room in the hive.
Also if bees are hanging out the front if the day is a bit warm.
The bees will tell you when they need room. How many times have we made the decision to add a super because we think there is alot of bees and nothing happens in the super.
Patients is an asset in bee keeping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 08:16:09 pm »
Busy
Being in the the same general area as you, the pollen is booming and mine have been exploding, depending what side of the county, the west side palms are about to bloom and the first nectar flow is starting, east side the blackberries and bayberry it popping. Like others have said 7 frames filled time to add. Have no long hive experience, but I have played with double deeps, deep and a medium for my brood boxes and have settled on single deeps for brood and suppers above for honey. It?s worked for me but every one has a choice
Good luck and have fun with your bees

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 03:47:41 pm »
Also not in FL but I found that adding a brood box to the bottom rather than the top works better.  It is natural for the bees to build down rather than up for brood space and you are less apt to have a problem with the queen if the bees have put honey over the brood area already.  Check with people in your area, because I know you have SHB and stuff to deal with.  Here, if I had a strong flow and needed both brood space and honey space I would add a brood box under and a honey super (shallow) over.

Are your frames in your 10 deep filled more with brood or honey?  How you manage it might depend on that answer.  Sorry if you addressed this already.  I skimmed as I am on the run.   :wink:

Do you have a local mentor or club?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 11:41:32 pm »
Busy.
I have long langstroths. It's normal for bees to work their way into the empty back part of the hive, and sometimes die. As 15 said, 6-7 dead bees is nothing. You can leave them there and the housebees will drag them around the hive and eventually out the entrance... or more likely, when you open the back of the hive later, they will fly up in front of you carrying their dead away.