BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Beeswax Wraps

(1/5) > >>

Lesgold:
Hi folks.

Anyone out there got some good recipes for beeswax wraps that they would like to share? I would like to make a few as it is something that I have never tried. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:
Les I confess, I for one do not know what a beeswax wrap is or what it is used for.

Phillip

Jim134:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on March 28, 2022, 02:49:37 am ---Hi folks.

Anyone out there got some good recipes for beeswax wraps that they would like to share? I would like to make a few as it is something that I have never tried. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Les

--- End quote ---

Are you talking about.... Is a piece of cotton cloth dipped in beeswax ??  Yes I have seen .. This particular Product came in several different . Sizes.... I was in Brattleboro, Vermont USA. At a food coop store. Believe it or not is located in Malfunction Junction..   LOL
 ..This was about 5 years ago...

https://www.brattleborofoodcoop.coop/

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on March 28, 2022, 02:49:37 am ---Hi folks.

Cheers

Les

--- End quote ---
Les, I am literally about the try making beeswax wraps for the first time.  I have a couple more ingredients to purchase, but if you hold on a week or two, I'll give you a full report.  I'll probably be using this recipe, from my favorite bee blog.  https://www.honeybeesuite.com/beeswax-food-wraps-step-by-step/

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on March 28, 2022, 06:11:35 am ---I was in Brattleboro, Vermont USA. At a food coop store. Believe it or not is located in Malfunction Junction..   LOL

--- End quote ---
:cheesy:  I wonder how that place got it's name!

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on March 28, 2022, 03:20:50 am ---Les I confess, I for one do not know what a beeswax wrap is or what it is used for.

Phillip

--- End quote ---
Beeswax wraps are natural fabric cloth infused with beeswax that can be used in place of plastic wrap, wax paper, or foil.  We are interested in making some to reduce the waste and cost of purchasing single use coverings like that for the kitchen.  They can't be used in the microwave, because the beeswax would melt, but we use those microwavable dish covers instead of plastic wrap already anyway.  We're planning on using beeswax wraps to cover dishes in the fridge, rising bread dough, things like that. 

Lesgold:
Yes Jim, that?s what I?m talking about. Phillip, the wraps are basically cotton pieces of cloth that are impregnated with beeswax and a combination of oils and resin to make a tacky cloth that sticks to containers or itself. It?s used as an alternative to cling wrap to keep food fresh in the refrigerator. They are very popular in Australia and are continuing to gain acceptance as an alternative to plastics. I have seen quite a few of them used and some of them work exceptionally well. The best that I have seen to date uses a combination of beeswax, pine resin and coconut oil but I don?t have the recipe at this stage. There is also a range of methods that can be used to make the wraps. An oven, ironing the cloth or dipping the cotton all appear to work. I would like to make some for my daughters but need to do a bit more research to get the process sorted before I start. Hopefully, a few forum members maybe able to help out. Member, I will be interested to hear about your results. Keep us posted.

Cheers

Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version