BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Beekeeping acronyms

(1/3) > >>

BeeMaster2:
I?m starting this topic for new and even experienced beekeepers so that when you run across a new acronym, hopefully it is here in this topic for reference..
TBH-Top Bar Hive,
SBB-Screen Bottom Board
STB-Screen Top Board
TF-Treatment Free
VD-Varroa Destructor
Please add any and all that you can remember.
If you use a new one that is not in this topic, please add it
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:
To keep this thread from having like 100 tiny posts, I'm just going to edit my post whenever I think of a new one.  I also added a brief explanation of each item, since this is for beginners. 

QX or QE--queen excluder (used to keep the queen from accessing a section of the hive)
HBH--Honey Bee Healthy (a brand of feeding stimulant)
SHB--small hive beetle (a small black beetle that is a pest of honey bees)
DSB--double screen board (also known as a Snelgrove board, used to separate a group of bees from the rest of the hive while still enabling them to smell one another)
DSBB--double screen bottom board (used for the control of small hives beetles, often in conjunction with an oil pan or DE)
DE--diatomaceous earth (a powder made from fossilized marine organisms used as an natural insecticide for insects like hive beetles)
BT--Bacillus thuringiensis (a bacterium used as an organic insecticide for soft bodied insects like waxworms)
OAV--oxalic acid vaporizer/vaporization (a method of treating for varroa mites by heating oxalic acid crystals into a vapor which coats the bees in a hive)
OA--oxalic acid (see "OAV")
AHB--Africanized honey bees (also known as "killer bees" for their aggressive behavior, a hybrid of the European honey bee Apis mellifera and the East African lowland honey bee Apis mellifera scutellata)
EHB--European honey bee (also known as the Western honey bee, Apis mellifera, the most common species kept by beekeepers in America, Europe, and Australia)
AFB--American foulbrood (a devastating brood disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Paenibacillus larvae; in many countries it is required by law that the hive be entirely destroyed)
EFB--European foulbrood (a brood disease caused by the bacterium Melissococcus plutonius, which unlike AFB is considered treatable) 
CBPV--chronic bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
DMV--deformed wing virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
IAPV--Israeli acute paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
ABPV--acute bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
SBPV--slow bee paralysis virus (one of the host of viruses transmitted by varroa mites)
QC--queen cell (a special large vertical brood cell often vaguely resembling a peanut in which a new queen is being reared)
BQCV--black queen cell virus (a virus characterized by queen cells turning black, can be transmitted through the parasite Nosema apis)
PMS--parasitic mite syndrome (the symptoms which characterize an advanced varroa mite infestation)
OTS--on the spot (a method of queen rearing which doesn't require any special tools)
THTH -- The Hive and the Honey Bee (L.L. Langstroth's landmark book about bees and beekeeping in his moveable frame hive;
             first released in 1853, it is re-edited and re-released every couple of years by Dadant and Sons)
BIAS -- Brood in all stages (eggs, larvae, and capped pupae)
AI -- Artificial insemination (instrumentally inseminating a queen with sperm from select drones and not allowing her to open mate)
POA -- Plan of attack
EAS -- Eastern Apicultural Society (a nonprofit organization founded in 1955 which hosts conferences and provides Master Beekeeper certification and research grants focusing on the eastern US)

Jim134:
     Just due a  Google search of
                       "acronym for beekeeping"..
 This is just one of the links.... And I see at least 6 more links..

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesglossary.htm

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

The15thMember:
I apparently can't edit my original post anymore, so here's a new one.

OTS--on the spot (a method of queen rearing which doesn't require any special tools)

The15thMember:
THTH -- The Hive and the Honey Bee (L.L. Langstroth's landmark book about bees and beekeeping in his moveable frame hive; first released in 1853, it is re-edited and re-released every couple of years by Dadant and Sons)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version