Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fill jars now or fill later?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Fill jars now or fill later?
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »
This is going to sound like a stupid question but I need to figure it out. Planning a wedding for next summer and we want to give out tiny (45 mL) jars of honey as a favour to the guests. My honey is liquid and easy to deal with now but it will crystallize. Which would be easier to do - fill the jars NOW and then re-liquefy them before the wedding? Or leave the honey in the bucket for now and then liquefy it (somehow) next summer before filling the jars? What would you do? Not sure how I would liquefy a full bucket of honey. Or, for that matter, 150 tiny jars.

This idea sounded so simple at the time. But of course nothing is ever simple.

salvo

Re: Fill jars now or fill later?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 09:29:03 pm »
Hi Nyleve,

Every year I have "Summer filled jars" carry over into the next spring. Last year Covid squashed all the fairs and most farmers markets. I had a ton of filled bottles into the spring and even summer,... cloudy and crystalizing.

An elderly cis gendered female beekeeper told me, years ago, that the best way to liquify crystalized honey was to 1. Park your car in strong, direct sunlight. 2: Put the jars on the dash or rear deck of your car. 3: close all the windows. 4: Leave it there.

It does get hot, but you can always say: *Warmed only by the sun.*

BUTTTTT! I uncap with a fork, which makes lots of small particles, that end up going through my strainer and into the honey. When it's new, it's uniform, and you can't see it in suspension in the honey. My honey looks great.(I took second prize at a big fair this year) However, after sitting and crystalizing a  bit, those microscopic bits of wax float to the top. Looks bad under the cap when it liquifies. I change the caps to get most of it out. Many of my regulars don't mind it though. I have a guy that WANTS all my cappings. Probiotic thing.

A pal-o-mine has a heating blanket that is made for a five gallon bucket. I've never asked him how it works. I would think it takes a lot of time to warm five gallons of honey.

I've also been told about a low watt lightbulb under the bucket, inside a closed box/container to keep the heat in. Days, and days, and days.

Also, I give a good, full pour. Sometimes the warmed honey expands and leaks out from under the cap, all over my dash..

I'd say, keep it in the bucket. Liquify it when you need to. Let that all settle in your gate bucket, and pour it then.

This heating honey is a tough subject. Let's se who else has an opinion.

Sal

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 09:51:04 pm »
I put my honey in quart jars and fill smaller ones as needed. Quarts are easy to liquefy.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:22:50 pm »
Nyleve,
There are instructions here on BeeMaster for a honey heater box. They are not hard to make. For the thermostat just keep an eye out for an old hot water heater being thrown out. The thermostat in it is easy to set for 104 degrees which is what you want to set it at. If you can?t find one, your local hardware store has them.
If you are interested in making one I?m sure I can find the thread for it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Fill jars now or fill later?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:09:22 am »
Suggest to fill the mini jars now. Re-liquify later close to the event date. This minimizes extra handling and transferring. Also takes one task off the loaded to-dos list as the date approaches.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:32:08 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:00:30 am »
I made a box to heat honey that will fit a five gallon bucket if needed.  I have not put a bucket in it yet.  Instead with a shelf added, I use it with my jars(pints,  quarts and one pound squeeze bottles).  They are easier to re-liquify because the clear glass allows you to see when it is done.  I have even poured(scooped) heavily crystallized honey into quart jars and warmed them.  When done, I put them into smaller jars.  Like iddee said it is easy to do quart jars.

If you plan on having labels or ribbons or other decoration on your tiny jars then I would put your honey into quart jars for now and heat them up later to fill your small jars. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 11:10:25 am »
The diversified answers here once again show their is more than one way to skin a cat.😊 All good answers that will work.

Cao, Tim Durham, a few years ago, taught how to 'warm' honey in a 55 gallon drum by simply wrapping it with common electrified plumbing heating wire, used to heat pipes in extremely cold climates. Then covered with a blanket. I am wondering the same method can be used on 5 gallon buckets?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 06:13:24 pm »
Hi Ben
Get an old chest freezer, a 1000w oil column heater with a thermostat, all now have one. And a good thermometer.
The chest freezer is well insulated and once the heater reaches 103 it will maintain the temp with out using much power.
We do 10 liter buckets, takes about 3 days, depending on the honey type.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 06:52:46 pm »
Mainly I just make sure not to put labels on them.  That way I can liquefy them by whatever means if needed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 10:05:33 am »
Here is the link for part one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEvRAqP2eXY#
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 10:09:59 am »
I believe this has the rest of the instructions:
http://www.michiganbees.org/beekeeping/in-the-beekeepers-workshop/
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 02:15:49 pm »
Hi Ben
Get an old chest freezer, a 1000w oil column heater with a thermostat, all now have one. And a good thermometer.
The chest freezer is well insulated and once the heater reaches 103 it will maintain the temp with out using much power.
We do 10 liter buckets, takes about 3 days, depending on the honey type.

Great idea! Thanks Oldbeavo..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 01:54:13 pm »
My 2 cents falls in line with posts above by Honey Pump and Michael Bush...

I would do it now as surely you will have many other tasks to do as the wedding approaches.

Nowadays I only affix the safety seal at the time of bottling.  I don't apply our apiary label until they sell at fairs or events.  This also keeps the jars ready for personalized labels (e.g wedding favors, etc.) anytime too.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 06:03:29 pm »
Thank you all for your suggestions. I would very much prefer to fill the jars now and liquefy all of them closer to the date - you're right, I'll be insane with tiny jobs before the wedding. BUT with this freaking COVID we are still uncertain about any wedding plans for next summer and, having had a serious conversation with the bride and groom, I know they're very worried about it. I would so hate to end up with 175 tiny 45 mL jars of honey that I then have to re-bottle into larger jars because, let's face it, 45 mL is basically one breakfast. I think I'll wait and decrystallize the whole bucket at once, when we are more certain what will happen.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 05:32:41 pm »
I ended up figuring out how much total honey I'll need for the wedding favours and bottled that into quart jars. Will be much easier to de-crystallize fill tiny jars next summer. All the rest was put into my usual assortment of honey jars, which can be liquefied as needed through the year. Labels will go on when they've been liquefied. Thanks for the help thinking this through.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 11:55:52 pm »
Glad you have come to a satisfactory conclusion Nyleve. Planning a wedding is a special project. I wish you a wonderful wedding and a lifetime of Love, Happiness, and Joy....

Blessings,

Phillip

PS Stay in touch with us here as beemaster.  :grin:

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 02:22:22 pm »
Thank you! It's my son's wedding, not mine, but I wish all of us a lifetime of happiness and love! I will definitely stay in touch on Beemaster - this is the way I learn things.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 08:32:57 am »
      I personally would keep the honey in a 5 gallon bucket

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 10:27:02 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 08:58:02 am »
This idea sounded so simple at the time. But of course nothing is ever simple.
If you can freeze the bucket.  In Canada you could leave it outside.  This will pretty much stop crystallization.  What crystallizes will be at the bottom so you can ladle it out into the tiny jars about a month before the wedding reception.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 10:16:16 pm »
Have decanted all of it into quart jars. This will be easier to liquefy when the time comes. I don't have a freezer big enough to accommodate a large bucket anyway. This will be fine. But thanks for the suggestions!