Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hornets everywhere  (Read 2727 times)

Offline allen dardoise jr

• Brood
hornets everywhere
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:49:32 pm »
:roll:  I have been in a battle against these threats! This is my second year with two hives, ready for the flow! NOT! The population was not high as I would expect! With only a yeald of 120 Lbs (both) OUCH! :(  Well, one day , strolling out there, I heard and airplane .......... To make this short, a nest of those was 20 yards from my #2 hive! I had to requeen this one once this year. I knocked that out that morning at 3:00 am. Before I read that they were nocturnal, and attracted to light ,"duh", I did see them around lights often. Searching another day, I came across another 30 yards from where that one 'was'. This one was 35+ feet up and obscured by branches! And a WHOLE lot bigger :shock: ! Suited up in 2 pair of pants,insulated coveralls,three jackets,a way oversized body suit from a cable company, and a veil, 15ft step ladder, 3 cans of hornet spray ,flashlight, and the will to save whats left of my bees! Its been 2 days since then! I think Its all good,'for me!' Upon looking up ways to 'get rid of them', one thought, they are attracted to white and light, my hives are white! I will paint one flat light red or green! and see what happens! The light with the weedwacker seems a just means to an END! :twisted:  I plan to make a few. Maybe a 55 gallon drum with a spot light in the bottom and ..............

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
hornets everywhere
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 09:39:44 am »
The extremely hot summer is heaven for insect pests.  I have seen more hornet and wasps nests this year than I have in decades.  Sounds like you need to build yourself an industrial sized wasp trap.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything