Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Attic removal question  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Attic removal question
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Home owner called me today and said a swarm moved in 2 months ago. Said they are exposed in his attic. I will try to post some pictures later that he sent me of the swarm. Looks to be about the size of a basketball, and he agreed when I asked about it. My question is, how much comb do you think these guys built in the 2 months they have been there? He said he likes the fact that they are there, and really doesn't want them removed, but the AC guy went up there and got lit up, so he said they unfortunately have to go. Haha. Seems like a real good guy on the phone. I'm going to take a look Saturday.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Attic removal question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:57 pm »
The comb will be about as big as the cluster you see. If you have access to them as you described, it should be a nice easy removal. Getting the stragglers might be tough though.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:27:28 pm »
Thanks psparr. I'm am trying to attach a picture to this comment. This is the day they moved in. A little over 2 months ago. My plan is to not use smoke if I can avoid it, carefully remove comb, place it into my hive with rubber bands, and hopefully spot and cage the Queen. Then place the hive at the entrance to hopefully catch any stragglers. After dark I'm going to plug the hive and take them home. How's that sound? I've done a couple this way and it worked out good.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:52:27 am »
If it is still smal, it may work. With already having the AC man getting stung, I would use the smoke 10 minutes before starting and again 30 seconds before.
Good luck.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:37:11 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:33 am »
Thanks Jim. The reason I don't want to use smoke is because it's inside these folks super nice house. They may not like it as well. I'd have to light the smoker, and carry it through there house and up into there attic area. I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at in the morning. I shouldn't have said the ac  man got "lit up" they said he got it twice. But he was also up there banging around with a flashlight. I've got a good sized hive here in my yard that is just super calm and a pleasure to work with. But one night I went down there with a flashlight and they let me know just how much they don't like to be bothered after dark  :shocked:
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:35:15 am »
Cigar, light it in the attic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:06:25 am »
May not be a bad idea ace. I like to joke with people just to see what kind of reaction I'll get out of someone. It gets me in trouble sometimes but oh well. I've never met these people, the first time he called me, after we talked about how to get them out he asked "what's this gonna cost me,?" I said "well it's 100 for me to come out, and then 50$ per sting, and being that it's in the hot attic I'll probably be in shorts with no shirt"...... His reply was "oh my God! You are CRAZY! it may be more than I can afford" ....haha. good sport.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 01:49:39 am »
So how did it go???

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:42 pm »
I ended up not doing it. Home owner said someone he knew was getting into bees and wanted to give it a go. But I did do another one that was a big head ache. It was in a bathroom wall of a house that was built in 1835. The homeowners we're super nice people, and very interested to hear the little bit that I know about bees.
Take a kid fishing !