BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Migratory vs Telescopic lid

(1/4) > >>

Skeggley:
Hi guys, something I?ve been wondering about for a while is why here in Aus it?s the norm to use migratory lids and it seems in the US telescoping covers are the norm.
Telescoping covers generally need an inner cover, migratory lids don?t. Although hive mats are often used nowadays with M lids.
It?s easy to add insulation in a M lid as there is room inside it.
I hear of T lids blowing off, my hives are in a windy area with M lids and they have never blown off.
Ventilation holes are usually in M lids, not surprising as they are needed when transporting hives.
What is standard in other countries that use Langstroth hives?
What lids do migratory beekeepers in the US use?
Thanks.

Ben Framed:
Hello Skeggley from Down Under, Phillip from America. I could be considered a (newer beekeeper) as I have been keeping bees for 19 months. I mentioned this first as what I am about to tell you is sure to receive criticism from my older, more experienced fellow beekeepers. I use neither telescoping nor migratory lids. What I do, which is different for either of the two choices that was mentioned, I use Adventec lifetime warranted 3/4 4X8 sheets cut down to the exact size of my brood and super boxes and use the small cut down sheets for my lids. I do not have or use cleats, nor any type of reinforcement for the sides or ends, simply the cut down to fit sheets for a smooth, even fit used as my tops. I have had winds up to 60 MPH and have never lost a top. I have found that my bees ALWAYS propolize these sheets to the top box and I usually have to pry them off! I would not change for either of the previous mentioned. Now, if I were a commercial beekeeper, I would not chance the moving of this system without reinforcing the placement of said lids. What I would do and have done, is using a T40 stapler, simply pop a couple staples on each side of the tops to the boxes and they will not come off. So here is one answer, I hope you get more as I am always interested in what other beekeepers are doing.
Thanks, Phillip 

Skeggley:
Hiya Phil, I?m sure you won?t cop criticism on this forum mate, we all know there?s more than one way to skin a cat.  :wink:
To me using a rigid flat board as you do makes more sense than a telescoping lid. Easier to pry off.
I use the space ( roughly 40mm or 1 5/8? ) in a M lid to gauge a colony?s strength. When this space gets crowded or comb is built it?s time to add another box or harvest. Often just popping the lid for a peek is my inspection. Most nucleus boxes have exactly as you use and either have a latching system, screw holes or come stapled down, the latter being my least favourite.
On the front and back sides of the M lids here in the west (best place in the world to keep honey bees) there are 25mm (1?) screened holes that allow ventilation and these get closed and opened by the bees as required.
Although we don?t have SHB here over east they are starting to use clear hive mats and the wretched beetles can be seen and squashed in their bee jails on top of the frames.
Are hive mats used with telescopic lids?
I?m trying to understand the reason why M lids aren?t more commonly used elsewhere.

Ben Framed:
'Although we don?t have SHB here over east they are starting to use clear hive mats and the wretched beetles can be seen and squashed in their bee jails on top of the frames.
Are hive mats used with telescopic lids?
I?m trying to understand the reason why M lids aren?t more commonly used elsewhere.''

I like the idea of the clear hive mats and the opportunity to see and kill the beetles. As far as hive mats used with telescopic lids, I personally do not know, however, you have sparked an interest from my standpoint with the clear mats. What type material is used for this type mat that you are familiar with?  I do not see the benefit of using a telescopic top. Especially since the hive beetle have arrived.  I am going to take a guess, perhaps it could be that we in America have a really diverse type terrain along with different types of weather. From hot tropic type such as Florida and just hot in Southern California, to really cold winters here in the lower 48 such as Minnesota etc.  I am going to guess, and this is only a guess, that some keepers cling to the telescopic lids for colder weather purposes?  Really as stated, I do not know. Here in Northern Mississippi the winters are usually cold at times, occasionally reaching the single digits F. Low to mid 20's F are not uncommon many nights and days also, but this varies. It can be 25 one day and 65-70 a few days later and back down she goes.  :shocked:

The15thMember:
I have some hives with telescoping tops and some with migratory covers.  When I got my initial startup hives, I got telescoping tops because, as you mentioned Skeggley, most hobbyists in the US seem to have them.  After a year of using them though, I purchased migratory covers for my splits this past spring.  Migratory tops are cheaper and they have better ventilation with a screened inner cover because of their open sides.  My only question is if they will hold up as well as my telescoping tops in my damp climate, since I couldn't find any metal migratory tops, only wooden ones.  If I find that it's a problem, I could always add some metal to them, I suppose.  I strap all my hives down, just for my own peace of mind, regardless of lid type.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version