Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussie Beekkepers have a powerful lobby  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Aussie Beekkepers have a powerful lobby
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:58:40 am »
http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=17000&cid=4&cname=Business%20Today

The ban on imported bees is going to take effect. Ifyou live in .au the price of bees may increase.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Re: Aussie Beekkepers have a powerful lobby
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:48:23 am »
The cheeky blighters, we agreed to take their disease, fire blight ridden apples. Kiwi paranoia. We already allow their rotten honey to be sold here. THEY have AFB and verroa, we dont!

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 07:39:46 am »
We are getting queens every year from the Aussies (sorry if misspelled) comes from Kangaroo Island. When they get here the following bees are removed and replaced with young Danish bees so that only the queen is original Aussie queen.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:58:05 am »
Hi Jorn,

Kangaroo Island is an Island off the coast of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, its about 300sq kilometres and about 30 kiometres off the coast, so nice and isolated from disease risks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 10:45:07 am »
Aha, so that is why the bee breed is probably not intermixed?  If the bees are bred on an island, then for surely there would be no neighbourhood drones coming on board to mate with the specific queens.  Right?  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:53:44 am »
The ban on imported bees is going to take effect. Ifyou live in .au the price of bees may increase.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Brenhan, where is .au.  I wonder how long there has been a problem with disease and Australian bees?  I have always received bees from Australia with my packages for two seasons now.  I would have thought that the colonies would have been decreed free of disease or pest to be imported to Canada.  Now I gotta wonder.  Maybe that is why my bees were afflicted so badly with the varroa destructor.  I would like to know more about the problems associated with Australian bees.

The only thing that I heard bad about bees from Australia, and this was an old timer from the beeclub, was that he said that he thought Australian queens were quite often superceded.  Wonder about that too.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:49 am »
I am very sure of that when you receive packets from Australia they are free of Varroa. Otherwise I am sure of that you could not import those. The problem is, that varroa infection comes to those installed packages as normal. Robbery, Drones, wrong flight in you name it! Even if you fight Varroa and think you are safe there can be a re-infection from neighbour apiaries. That’s why a late OC treatment is effective, because bees normally have stopped flying too.

The drawback from importing queens is, that you have to import every year, if you want to keep the characteristic of the bees.

That’s the reason why I started queen breeding, so that I could control the queens I was working with. I was not going for colour, red eyes ore something like this, just for Steadiness, Swarming, Seek ness and Defend ness. Those are easy to visualise by a short look. Steadiness and Defend ness when you open the hive. Seek ness when you have problems but varroa. And Swarming if you see swarm cells. So a simple graduation (1 to 5) is possible. To this comes a building of an index so that selection of breeding/drone producing queens can be selected by this index. But this might bee too much for this thread.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:11:37 pm »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Brenhan, where is .au.  I wonder how long there has been a problem with disease and Australian bees?  I have always received bees from Australia with my packages for two seasons now.  I would have thought that the colonies would have been decreed free of disease or pest to be imported to Canada.  Now I gotta wonder.  Maybe that is why my bees were afflicted so badly with the varroa destructor.  I would like to know more about the problems associated with Australian bees.

The only thing that I heard bad about bees from Australia, and this was an old timer from the beeclub, was that he said that he thought Australian queens were quite often superceded.  Wonder about that too.  Great day. Cindi

Showing my geek side.
when you put an address in the browser bar they can end in some of the following:
.com (commerical)
.org  (organization)
or a country code.
.uk (United Kingdom)
.de (Germany)
.au (Australia)
The idea was suppose to be that the TLD (top level domains) would help keep things relevant and regional. At least that was the idea.

Geeks like me tend to identify countries by their TLD because we are lazy and are usually communicating with other geeks. I sometimes forget that beekeepers are not always computer geeks. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 12:49:30 am »
Brendhan, I think that is good for you, I commend you for this, I actually think that I probably would just stick to normal easy (easier) stuff, too hard to remember the short names.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58:04 am »
I am very sure of that when you receive packets from Australia they are free of Varroa. Otherwise I am sure of that you could not import those. The problem is, that varroa infection comes to those installed packages as normal. Robbery, Drones, wrong flight in you name it! Even if you fight Varroa and think you are safe there can be a re-infection from neighbour apiaries. That’s why a late OC treatment is effective, because bees normally have stopped flying too.
The drawback from importing queens is, that you have to import every year, if you want to keep the characteristic of the bees.
That’s the reason why I started queen breeding, so that I could control the queens I was working with. I was not going for colour, red eyes ore something like this, just for Steadiness, Swarming, Seek ness and Defend ness. Those are easy to visualise by a short look. Steadiness and Defend ness when you open the hive. Seek ness when you have problems but varroa. And Swarming if you see swarm cells. So a simple graduation (1 to 5) is possible. To this comes a building of an index so that selection of breeding/drone producing queens can be selected by this index. But this might bee too much for this thread.

Jorn, OK, right makes sense.  I had an experience this early summer where I caught quite a large swarm, well I think it was large.  this I believe was the Carniolan species, the bees dark, and the queen very very dark.  She was magnificent, a beautiful layer, always laid full combs of brood, very nice.  The colony very prolific and so docile.   About the end of August when I began to do more stuff with this colony, I intentionally looked for the queen.  I was simply curious to see her.  She was without doubt not the same beautiful dark lady that I had seen when I first brought these girls home.  I presume that she had been superceded for one reason or the other, or had died.  I don't know.  But it was a golden beauty queen, she was just as beautiful.  I don't care.  Both were beauties, and they are indeed a magnificent sight to the eye.  I just feld rather bewildered by why the colony obviously thought that they needed a different queen.  Maybe the original lady was old, if she was...she certainly was doing her hardest to give the colony a wonderful start to their new life at my home, which she did, good for her.  I take may hat off to her. 

These bees must know what is right for their survival and probably do their best to ensure the survival of their species.  Have a great day.  Regards.  Cindi

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 03:45:35 am »
Quick note from the SA dept of Ag.

"Bees on Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island (KI) is a sanctuary for Ligurian bees and no bees or second hand bee hives or any other equipment may be introduced. Apiary products are also restricted from entry to KI unless tested and verified to be free of disease - this must be certified by an apiary inspector. Kangaroo Island is currently free of American Foulbrood, European Foulbrood and Chalkbrood."

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 10:34:15 am »
Quick note from the SA dept of Ag.

"Bees on Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island (KI) is a sanctuary for Ligurian bees and no bees or second hand bee hives or any other equipment may be introduced. Apiary products are also restricted from entry to KI unless tested and verified to be free of disease - this must be certified by an apiary inspector. Kangaroo Island is currently free of American Foulbrood, European Foulbrood and Chalkbrood."

Wow, now isn't that cool.  Must be a very well handled operation.  Awesome.  Great day. Cindi